88 Posts
16 Users
260 Likes
Vlad Sorokolat
(@vlad-srk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  
photo01s

«Turn my Tootsietoy plaything into the Cadillac Coupe,» I received such requests from collectors after doing this work for myself. I had to refuse: the process was too complicated and time-consuming.

In the end, I decided to make this toy a pattern suitable for replication. But, once again comparing its bottom with the real car, I was disappointed: there is no hint of suspension and many details of the frame on Tootsietoy. But it is these components that make the car of that time original and recognizable!

So I had to get about it myself, starting from scratch. The absolutely new model will not only reproduce the body of the original but also give an idea of ​​the suspension and transmission elements of the car — you can see it in the drawing.

Such trifles are fundamental for me: I reproduce even those details that do not catch the eye in all VDM models. What do you say about this approach? Do you often see the «reverse side» of miniature cars?

Al_Dorado, Tony Perrone, Mike DeTorrice and 9 people reacted
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

I am looking forward to this!

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

Suspension and drivetrain details are always important on pre-1915 cars where so much is visible.

EMC 1903 Cadillac

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

VDM = "Vlad da modeler"!  Par excellence!

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

I have that Tootsie Cadillac. It is very crude. I can't wait to see what you end up with Vlad.

ReplyQuote
cadillaclloyd
(@lloyd-mecca)
Reputable Member

I have been waiting for this since... forever. I'm in. #2 please, for me. 😀 

ReplyQuote
Vlad Sorokolat
(@vlad-srk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @lloyd-mecca

I have been waiting for this since... forever. I'm in. #2 please, for me.

Agreed, Lloyd!

ReplyQuote
M_Hulot
(@m_hulot)

I'll take one as well... 😀 

ReplyQuote
Vlad Sorokolat
(@vlad-srk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @m_hulot

I'll take one as well...

Ok. Thanks for your interest. I didn't place all the orders with contractors yet, because I can't tell the price of the model yet. I will inform as the project progresses.

ReplyQuote
Vlad Sorokolat
(@vlad-srk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

1/43 Cadillac Osceola Coupe

I'm currently preparing to release a new model, which is a scale copy of the personal car of Cadillac founder Henry Leland. Henry loved this single-cylinder car and even named it the Osceola. The car is very fortunate: not only it withstood more than twenty years of active use, but also survived to this day.

Even during Leland's lifetime, the Osceola was updated several times, so the car now in the Detroit Museum is different from the one Henry first drove. I'm making the scale model of the original version. 

I'll talk about the differences a little later, and now I want to show a couple of photos of the interior, which has not changed since Leland. The photos were taken by the museum workers at my request. They did several body measurements for me. So you can be sure that the new model will be as accurate as the previous VDM-models miniature.

screen10inv
1905CadillacOsceolaInterior 01s
screen11inv
1905CadillacOsceolaInterior 06s
screen12inv
1905CadillacOsceolaInterior 05s

The interior of the car is reproduced using 3D modeling

Chav, Karl Schnelle, David Green and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

Found the 1:1 online. Should be a great model.

John Kuvakas, Karl Schnelle, David Green and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Vlad Sorokolat
(@vlad-srk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mg-harv

Found the 1:1 online. Should be a great model.

It will be beauty, but a little not in this appearance.

ReplyQuote
Vlad Sorokolat
(@vlad-srk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

For the first time, I am developing my new project, a Cadillac Osceola model, entirely on 3D technology. I am building three-dimensional images of parts based on my accurate hand-made drawings. I do it in a special software app — you can see a fragment of the work in the video.

Thanks to this technology, the details of the miniature are more accurate and crafted with more precision than in a master made by hand. That is especially helpful for dealing with fancy carriage body shapes of cars like Cadillac Osceola! They are difficult even for 3D building: I cannot imagine how I would manage to make them without the help of a computer Smile

After that, I send each detail for 3D printing. And I get small wheels, quilted seats, tiny lamps, and much more. Including a set of mysterious parts that will make the model something, you have never seen before.

I'll tell you about it in more detail in the following posts.

Vlad Sorokolat
(@vlad-srk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm preparing to make a model of this car, but perhaps the information about the real car is of interest to someone.

1907CadillacCoupeAd
1905CadillacOsceola 44
1905CadillacOsceola 37

Osceola — Cadillac’s first concept car

Imagine yourself in a car without the roof in the rain and wind. And what if it's snowing? That's how drivers and passengers felt at the beginning of the last century — because the vast majority of cars had an open body that did not protect them from the weather.

For $30 it was possible to buy a rubber top with a storm apron, and for $50, the same set in leather; but that feature added 4 to 7 percent to the cost of the car.

In 1905, Cadillac founder Henry Leland took customer care to the next level, by insisting on developing a completely enclosed body for Cadillac cars. This body was quickly developed by the Detroit Wilson Body Company, which previously specialized in equipping coaches. So it is not surprising that this novelty was made of wood, resembling a carriage, as if horses would be seen ahead of it.

At the end of 1905, a new body was installed on the chassis of a single-cylinder Cadillac Model K, which was being prepared for production a few months later. The car, which was actually the company's first concept car, was handed over to Leland. Henry liked the novelty so much that he used it for almost 30 years. He gave it the name «Osceola» and did not want to switch to the more powerful 4- and 8-cylinder Cadillacs to come later.

As early as 1906, the company included this coupe in its production program and began installing it on a 4-cylinder Model H. Since 1907, Cadillac has offered its customers a single-cylinder car that protects passengers from the weather every day of the year.

ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member

Several years ago I tried, with my limited skills, to make the Tootsietoy Cadillac more accurate.  My biggest failure was accepting the height of the Tootsie.  I remember that it was fun to attempt. Here are my results:

IMG 7453
IMG 7456
IMG 7458

Good luck with your project, Vlad.  I'm always happy to see early American cars in our beloved scale of 1:43.    David

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6
Share: