Notifications
Clear all

The Early Days of Formula One.  

Page 1 / 2

David Green
(@david-green)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Formula One automobile racing has its roots in the European Grand Prix championships of the 1920s and 1930s, though the foundation of the modern Formula One began in 1946 with the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile's (FIA) standardisation of rules, which was followed by a World Championship of Drivers in 1950.

The 1950 and 1951 World Championships were won by 'Nino' Farina and Juan Manual Fangio in Alfa Romeos. The first double winner was Alberto Ascari winning in 1952 and 1953 with the Ferrari 500 F2 starting a long history of Ferrari wins.

Brumm produced a line in the 1990s called AutoStory. These featured a car in action on a small diorama.

Here is Alberto Ascari in the 1952 Monza, Italian Grand Prix driving a muddy Ferrari 500 F2.

P1070653
P1070654
P1070655

Gene Herman, Josh, Paul Rouffa and 3 people liked
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Honorable Member

I like the "racing grime" effect!

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Trusted Member

One more for Harv's collection! @mg-harv 

https://www.maronline.org.uk/dirty-worn-beaten-and-abandoned-part-i/  

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Trusted Member

#2 was Fangio's ride at the 1951 Belgian Grand Prix:  Alfa Romeo 159 Alfetta.  An old Brumm from Italy.

Alfa Alfetta 3x Brumm Dinky

Farina drove the #25 Alfa Romeo 158 in 1950 (Brumm again), but don't quote me on that. 🤔 

With a Dinky in the middle... 

Gene Herman, Josh, Paul Rouffa and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Estimable Member

One more Alfa, from Minichamps. This is the 1951 Type 159M Alfetta that placed 1st at the Spanish GP and clinched the F1 Championship for Fangio.

Minichamps 403 511222 Alfa Romeo 159 pic1
Minichamps 403 511222 Alfa Romeo 159 pic2
Minichamps 403 511222 Alfa Romeo 159 pic3

Gene Herman, Karl Schnelle, Josh and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Very nice Harv. Initially, in their early days, Brumm set the diecast standard for Formula 1 models but now Minichamps and several others have moved ahead. We have a wonderful selection to now choose from.

All that said, I have a nostalgic attraction to Dinky, Crescent and others from the time these open and relatively unsafe cars raced.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by David Green

Josh and John Kuvakas liked
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Here is another of Brumm's AutoStory series. This is the Juan Manual Fangio 1955 Mercedes-Benz W196C on the banking at Monza on his way to winning the Italian Grand Prix and earning his 3rd Formula 1 Driving Championship that year.

Like the earlier AutoStory, this car also shows race weathering.

P1070668
P1070670
P1070672

Gene Herman, Karl Schnelle, Josh and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Another Juan Manual Fangio Championship race car. This one is Lancia/Ferrari D50 as raced at the 1956 British Grand Prix. Fangio won his 4th World Formula 1 championship that year.

This one is another Brumm (R076)

P1070723
P1070721

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

1958 was an interesting year in Formula 1. This was the first year for a Constructor's World Championship. The year was a battle between Vanwall and Ferrari.

Englishman Mike Hawthorne won the Drivers' title after a close battle with compatriot Stirling Moss despite Moss winning 4 races to Hawthorn's one. 

Vanwall won the inaugural Manufacturers award from Ferrari.

Hawthorn retired from racing at the end of the season, only to die three months later after a road car accident.

HotWheels in the La Storia series made a very nice model of Hawthorn's 1958 Ferrari Dino 246.

P1070685
P1070688
P1070687

Spark made a very nice model with Stirling Moss driving of the Vanwall VW57 from the 1958 Dutch Grand Prix.

151 S4870 2
This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by David Green

Gene Herman, Karl Schnelle, Jeff G and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

The 1954 Formula One season featured the 1954 World Championship of Drivers contested over a nine race series with Jean Manual Fangio winning six of them, initially with Maserati for two races and then Mercedes Benz for four.

s l1600

Here is the partworks issue from Argentina sold with a magazine, of the 1954 Maserati 250F with which Fangio won his first two victories in 1954.

P1070789
P1070791
P1070792

This is the Brumm R72, 1954 Mercedes W 196 as driven by Fangio for his last 4 wins that year.

Once again, Fangio was the 1954 Formula 1 World Champion Driver.

ReplyQuote
Jeff G
(@old-caddys)
Eminent Member

(@david-green)

Dave you have a nice collection of early F1 cars. I'm guesssing you have more then the ones you've shown us already. I have some of the cars from the 50s (no photos of them yet) from Brumm and a Hot Wheels Elite model. I've got my eye on a couple of the Hot Wheels LaStoria series but the seller wants a little more than I'm willing to pay. I'll keep on searching and I'm sure I can find some a little more reasonably priced.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

@old-caddys

Hi Jeff,

Formula 1 is one of my collecting passions. I only collect in 1/43 but have all the driver and world championship cars complete to 2014 with a few holes since then. Some, I had to settle for Altaya, Dagostini and other partworks sold with magazines, but I also have several handbuilt

s from SMTS etc. I do like the LaStoria. Most of mine are HotWheels but IXO bought the LaStoria rights a few years ago. Brumm are the easiest to collect but quality and accuracy vary. Minichamps is most common in my collection followed by Quartzo and Vitesse.

Once the 50s have run their course here, I hope to introduce the 1960s, and so on. I've attempted to group them as 'Themes' but that was not done with the old Diecast Forums, so I'll have to see if it works here on the new.

When you get photos, I hope you will share here.

s l1600

ReplyQuote
Gene Herman
(@monteverde802)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @karl

#2 was Fangio's ride at the 1951 Belgian Grand Prix:  Alfa Romeo 159 Alfetta.  An old Brumm from Italy.

Alfa Alfetta 3x Brumm Dinky

Farina drove the #25 Alfa Romeo 158 in 1950 (Brumm again), but don't quote me on that. 🤔 

With a Dinky in the middle... 

When I was a kid, I always wanted to collect all the Dinky Grand Prix cars, but never could afford to.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

@monteverde802

Hi Gene,

I still have that original series from 1954. Packed away at the moment though. All loose., they originally came in a boxed Gift set #4 like this. I think these were my earliest models that I still have from childhood.

DreKIq9WsAEyqal

The original ones had the number 23 followed by a litter.( ie, 23K.) In 1955 they switched to 3 numbers as this page from the Dinky Toys catalogue shows.

I collected both series years ago. Only the Ferrari had a change in paint scheme. The letter editions are the rarest.

1f99cc68a27ae0c456d689c4f2c99ff3
Meccano Dinky Toys 234 Ferrari Racing Car

It was this series that fired up my interest in Formula 1.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 3 times by David Green

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: