Notifications
Clear all

Toy Room  

Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

This may not be the typical post, but some of you might find it interesting.  This is my "Toy Room" in our basement.  It has a 1/64 scale train layout (S-Scale) with several 1/64 diecast cars.  The layout is 10 ft x 6.5 ft. The buildings along road on right are from resin and plastic kits no longer in production.  The airport control tower and gray building on left are made from LEGOs (my design).  Airplanes are 1/72 scale diecast. The display case on left has 1/43 scale white metal cars. Display case on right has 1/64 scale train items, cars, and trucks.  Unlike some collectors, I could never concentrate on any one type of thing.  Thus, I have models from a wide range of categories.  There is more in boxes.

IMG 1587

Larry kemling
(@larry-kemling)
Trusted Member

Hmmm, that would be American Flyer!

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Moderator

Nice setup, Ed!

John Kuvakas

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

You are correct about the American Flyer trains being 1/64 scale.  However, starting in the 1980's some manufacturers started to produce much more detailed models in both plastic and brass.  My train models are quite detailed, and some of the locomotives and freight cars I have are brass models.

ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Reputable Member

That is amazing.

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@jcarnutz

I am glad you liked it.  If you want to see a real amazing train display, search on your internet browser for "Hamburg Germany Model Train Exhibit" and enjoy the videos.

Back to 1/64 scale.  Here is another picture from my train layout.  It shows a gas station I built from a resin kit several years ago and the following diecast vehicles.

1961 Chevrolet Impala from Ertl, 1949 Buick Riviera from Racing Champions, 1967 Ford Mustang from Greenlight, and a 1953 Ford Pickup from Racing Champions.

IMG 1567

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Reputable Member

I really like that Gulf Service Station Ed. Nice diorama too. The cars fit in well.

ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Reputable Member

Looks great. The '61 Impala is perfect for the scene. I like the Gulf Service Station too.

ReplyQuote
mrod54
(@mrod54)

Nice diorama, great photography. Thanx for sharing.

ReplyQuote
Harrison Miniature Auto Museum
(@lu)
Estimable Member

Great set up, Ed!

ReplyQuote
tjciryak@yahoo.com
(@tjciryakyahoo-com)
Eminent Member

Would like to see some closeups of your layout. Very much impressed with what I saw.

ReplyQuote
Ira Gillispie
(@iragill)
Estimable Member

Wow! That's a nice toy room. Beautiful display cases. I really like that Gulf Service Station, who makes that. I'm also a model train guy, N scale 18' X 10' N Trak modular Layout.

Home Layout N Scale 4

ReplyQuote
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Reputable Member

Great job with the layout.

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@tjciryakyahoo-com

Here are some close-ups.

The first three pictures are of the drive-in restaurant.  I still have some finishing work to do (painting and sign).  This is a resin kit from Pine Canyon Scale models.  Unfortunately, it is no longer available.

The fourth and fifth pictures feature my work with LEGOs. The picture with the LEGO control tower shows two diecast 1/72 scale A4 Skyhawks.  The near one has markings for plane flown by former US Senator John McCain.  The LEGO factory building picture includes a First Gear 1/64 scale Mack Granite truck with 28' trailer.  The LEGO buildings are my own design.

The sixth picture shows a First Gear Mack R tractor with dump trailer.

IMG 1645
DSC 8829
DSC 8828
IMG 1607
IMG 1643
DSC 8822

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@iragill

Your train layout is very nice.  I especially like your scenery. I lack the artistic talent to do this and appreciate this quality in others.

The Gulf gas station was from Des Plaines Hobbies at least 15 years ago.  I doubt the kit is available, except from EBAY or another collector.  Des Plaines Hobbies is a hobby shop located in the Chicago suburb of Des Plaines.  The owner produces his own line of 1/64 scale freight cars, but also did one structure, the gas station.

ReplyQuote
Share: