Chevrolet Corvette ...

Notifications
Clear all

Chevrolet Corvette C5-R (Winner - 2001 Rolex 24 at Daytona)

10 Posts
6 Users
14 Likes
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Chevrolet Corvette C5-R (Winner - 2001 Rolex 24 at Daytona)

The Chevrolet Corvette C5-R is a grand touring racing car built by Pratt & Miller and Chevrolet for competition in endurance racing. The car is based on the C5 generation of the Chevrolet Corvette sports car, yet is designed purely for motorsports use. It became one of the most successful cars in GT categories, with wins at the 24 Hours of Daytona12 Hours of Sebring, and 24 Hours of Le Mans, as well as championships in the American Le Mans Series. The Corvette C5-Rs debuted in 1999 and continues to be raced to this day in vintage racing events, although the C5-R was effectively replaced by the Corvette C6.R in 2005.

The C5-R initially used a 366 ci (6.0 liter) V8 engine based on the road car's LS1. This was replaced with a larger 427 ci (7.0 liter) engine several months later during the 1999 season, and became the standard engine for the C5-R for the rest of its career. Katech Engine Development constructed the C5-Rs engines, although they retained elements of the production LS1 units.

2001 once again saw improvement at the opening of the season at Daytona. The C5-Rs outlasted the prototypes in the field and earned themselves the overall race victory. The race also saw the first drives by Dale Earnhardt and Earnhardt, Jr. in both the 24 Hours and the Corvette C5-R, with their car finishing fourth overall. Feeling that the C5-R was a capable winner anywhere, Pratt & Miller ran their first full season of the ALMS and earned six class victories, including their second at the Petit Le Mans. The C5-R also took its first victory at Le Mans, finishing eighth overall and 34 laps ahead of the closest competitor in their class.

2016 12 15 00 09 52
4 fevrier victoire du canadien ron fellows et de corvette aux 24 heures de daytona en 2001

The 2001 Rolex 24 at Daytona was a Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series 24-hour endurance sports car race held on February 3–4, 2001 at the Daytona International Speedway road course. The race served as the first round of the 2001 Rolex Sports Car Series. The race saw increased media attention due to Dale Earnhardt and Dale Earnhardt Jr. competing together for Corvette Racing. The father-son duo finished the race 4th overall. Earnhardt died several weeks later in the 2001 Daytona 500.
Victory overall and in the GTS class went to the No. 2 Chevrolet Corvette C5-R from Corvette Racing, driven by Johnny O'ConnellRon FellowsChris Kneifel, and Franck Fréon.

Here is the 1/43 scale ACTION model of the Winning No.2 Chevrolet Corvette C5-R

P1100730
P1100731
P1100732
P1100733
P1100734
P1100735
P1100736
P1100729

Jeff G and Jeff G reacted
Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

Nice write-up, @david-green.  I'm a big fan of Corvette racing & the C5-R really started that for me.

Below are my 3 C5-Rs, all by AutoArt in 1:18.

silver #4 1999 Rolex 24 at Daytona, 12th in GT2, driven by Heinricy/Pilgrim/Sharp (this is the 6.0L LS1 you mentioned)

yellow #63 2001 24 Hours of Le Mans, 1st in GTS, driven by Fellows/O'Connell/Pruett (7.0L LS1)

blue #53 2003 24 Hours of Le Mans, 3rd in GTS, driven by Fellows/Freon/O'Connell (7.0L LS1)

the C5-R with its successors, the C6-R & C7-R (still need to get a C8-R)

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@gavin 

Very nice Gavin. I love those 1/18 scale Corvettes. I stick to 1/43 these days strictly because of space.

Ron Fellows was one of my favourite drives who I met regularly at ALMS races. I'm glad to see two of his in your Post.

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

Posted by: @david-green

@gavin 

Ron Fellows was one of my favourite drives who I met regularly at ALMS races. I'm glad to see two of his in your Post.

@david-green...that's funny, he was one of mine as well.  I never met him, but saw him numerous times when he would race at Mid-Ohio in the ALMS.

ReplyQuote
diparani
(@diparani)

" It Should Be Borne in Mind That the Number of Marriages Today Is Much Lower Than in the Past, Where in Certain Historical Areas One Could Almost Speak of a Universal Nuptiality, Although This Was Not the Case i

ReplyQuote
Ben Lampson
(@ben-lampson)
Noble Member

Posted by: @diparani

" It Should Be Borne in Mind That the Number of Marriages Today Is Much Lower Than in the Past, Where in Certain Historical Areas One Could Almost Speak of a Universal Nuptiality, Although This Was Not the Case i

I think this is a spam account (above) if somebody wants to check on it.

Nice post and pics guys....here is my C5 getting dyno tuned after supercharger install. 

This was the 1st of 3 pulls, and made 480 horsepower to the wheels on the 3rd pull.

Jeff G, David Green, Jeff G and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

Posted by: @ben-lampson

This was the 1st of 3 pulls, and made 480 horsepower to the wheels on the 3rd pull.

480 at the wheels...wow!  Great looking C5.

ReplyQuote
harleridr
(@harleridr)

@david-green We met Ron in 2002 in Dallas at the Alms Race! We also met Will Cooksey at the Corvette plant. Had dinner with both. They are really "down to earth" guys!

01 VETTE AT THE PLANT WITH WILL COOKSEY

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Great memories. Ron was a wonderful spokesperson for Corvette and and an all round great guy. Nice to share a meal with those two. Love your pictures. I have a few with Ron Fellows somewhere that I need to hunt up. Thanks for sharing.

ReplyQuote
Bob Kroupa
(@2bubbas)
Estimable Member

I attended this event!  Meet all the Corvette drivers!  Got a couple signed pictures!

ReplyQuote
Share: