1961 in the REAR VIEW MIRROR

7 Posts
3 Users
10 Likes
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

A CHRISTMAS EVE "TWO-FER".  HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!  

1961 #1
1961 #2

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

Mark Lampariello
(@mark-lampariello)
Prominent Member

1961 T-Bird and 1961 De Soto: Beauty And The Beast!!

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mark-lampariello

1961 T-Bird and 1961 De Soto: Beauty And The Beast!!

Sadly it was the last year for "The Beast" as DeSoto was no more after the beginning of the '61 model year.  It was then of a once popular marque.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

1961 was a year of major design changes for the Big 3 and all for the better IMHO.  The GM offerings were especially improved.

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jack-dodds

1961 was a year of major design changes for the Big 3 and all for the better IMHO.  The GM offerings were especially improved.

I agree that GM seemed to fair the best with their '61 styling, though Oldsmobile and Buick for '61 were NOT among my favorite body styles.  I thought Chevy was the real looker for '61 for GM.  I also think that Chrysler gave us some outstanding lookers for '61.  I've always liked the Plymouth and Dodge's that year, and Chrysler itself was beautiful.  Over at FOMOCO, to my eyes they literally dropped the ball.  Ford was bland after the nicely styled '60, and Mercury went back to being a Ford clone.  Their completely new Lincoln will forever be void of any personality to my eyes.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

@georgeschire Personally I thought the 61 Ford and Mercury Lincoln lineup was very well done.  The Chrysler lineup I found mostly odd at the time...excluding  the lovely Chrysler.  I enjoy their design much more currently though. Just one man's  opinion of course....we're  all different.

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jack-dodds

@georgeschire Personally I thought the 61 Ford and Mercury Lincoln lineup was very well done.  The Chrysler lineup I found mostly odd at the time...excluding  the lovely Chrysler.  I enjoy their design much more currently though. Just one man's  opinion of course....we're  all different.

Indeed we are all different.  It sure would be boring if we all wanted and liked the same car.  Smile Merry Christmas to you Jack!  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Share: