28 Posts
13 Users
31 Likes
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @moe-parr

@georgeschire 

Sorry to hear your story, George, but look what you can find for sale on eBay...

s l400 1

Thanks for thinking of me Barry, much appreciated.

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

@georgeschire Would you be up for building this model kit George?

John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
Larry kemling
(@larry-kemling)
Noble Member

@moe-parr 

sadly no! But if ever I come across one!😂

John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @jack-dodds

@georgeschire Would you be up for building this model kit George?

Being honest, no.  Reason being, a put-together model would not fit in to my collection of diecast cars.  And the other truth is, I was never really in to building models back in the day.  Back then, I much more preferred the plastic promotional models that were seemingly in abundance in the 1960's.  I had many, and the key word is "had" only because I'd still have them had they not been melted in our 1971 house fire that I've mentioned here on the Forum in the past.

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

John Bono and Jack Dodds reacted
ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Illustrious Member

The Mercury for me, I like Pontiac too, but the Park Lane has so much more distinction.

John Merritt
South Lyon, Michigan - USA

John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

As far back as I could remember I was always aware of cars. I don't recall '60 Mercurys out and about in my community. Although they are very beautiful, I have to guess they were not very popular. On the flip side '60 Pontiacs were very plentiful. So, I'm voting for the car I'm most familiar with. 

John Bono
North Jersey

ReplyQuote
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@georgeschire - George, did your dad offer to replace it?

John Bono
North Jersey

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @sizedoesmatter

@georgeschire - George, did your dad offer to replace it?

No he didn't.  I know he felt bad, but replacing it, I guess, wasn't something he thought of.

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member

As far back as I could remember I was always aware of cars. I don't recall '60 Mercurys out and about in my community. Although they are very beautiful, I have to guess they were not very popular. On the flip side '60 Pontiacs were very plentiful. So, I'm voting for the car I'm most familiar with. 

John, you bring up an intriguing thought.  I too, was interested in cars from the time I first remember seeing them.  But in my case, it was the cars that were different looking than the usual Chevy's, Plymouth's and Ford's that seemed to prominent in most driveways and in the parking lots.  When I'd see an Oldsmobile, Mercury, DeSoto, Chrysler, or any of the others, I was drawn to them because they were different.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @georgeschire

John, you bring up an intriguing thought.  I too, was interested in cars from the time I first remember seeing them.  But in my case, it was the cars that were different looking than the usual Chevy's, Plymouth's and Ford's that seemed to prominent in most driveways and in the parking lots.  When I'd see an Oldsmobile, Mercury, DeSoto, Chrysler, or any of the others, I was drawn to them because they were different.  

What I'm saying George there weren't any '60 Mercurys around for me to be drawn to.

John Bono
North Jersey

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member

@sizedoesmatter 

I got what you were saying John.  To be honest, I don't remember any '60 Mercury's around when I was a kid.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Pete Rovero
(@pete-rovero)
Famed Member

@sizedoesmatter 

John and George, it's not surprising that you didn't see any '60 Mercurys growing up.   Big Mercurys were outsold by full size Pontiacs by nearly three and a half to one, roughly 500K to 152K.  Mercurys were probably more common in big cities/urban areas, and Pontiacs were just everywhere.  Oh, and I voted for the Mercury!

John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@pete-rovero 

Pete, Thanks for the info.

John Bono
North Jersey

Pete Rovero reacted
ReplyQuote