Notifications
Clear all

1/8 Scale Jaguar E Type

Clifford Read
(@clifford-read)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

1 1 P8020309

A couple of years ago DeAgostini had a half price 'Black Friday' sale and my brother and I pulled the trigger on one of these 1/8 scale kits as a complete set (rather than getting two years of installments). It builds into a very nice model with perhaps the best wire wheels I've seen on any model. They did, however, take almost a complete day to assemble each wheel. The display case did not come with the model.

1 1 PB101860
1 PB101865
1 P7280284
1 P7210278
6 PB071811
1 5 PB071810
4 PB071808
This topic was modified 2 months ago by Clifford Read

Josh, Chav, Marty Johnson and 2 people liked
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Admin

Most impressive! What was so complicated about the wheels? Did you have to assemble the individual spokes?

John Kuvakas

ReplyQuote
Clifford Read
(@clifford-read)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jkuvakas

Most impressive! What was so complicated about the wheels? Did you have to assemble the individual spokes?

Yes, the spokes were tedious and as you got towards the last few spokes, it became more difficult to avoid the whole bunch from trying to escape from the rim and hub.  Towards the end of DeAgostini's original subscription version (where the purchaser would receive an incremental package of parts and instructions every couple of weeks, they came up with a simpler spoke assembly but it wasn't quite as accurate as the original, more difficult (tedious) version, so I felt compelled to carry on with the tedious version. The beautiful wire wheels were one of the main reasons that my brother and I decided to purchase the complete kit in the first place.

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Admin

@clifford-read, you are a man of infinite patience, my friend. The model is stunning.

John Kuvakas

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Estimable Member

agreed...that has to be the best model of an E-Type I've ever seen.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Noble Member

Wow Clifford. I am really impressed with this. I wondered about getting it but the spread out of parts over a significant period put me off, as did the final cumulative price. You did well.

I have built the in 1/8th scale plastic kits by both Tamiya and Monogram, both older kits admittedly, but they are not a patch on this one. The Tamiya was slightly better than the Monogram but quite a bit more expensive. Wheels while OK, were not up to Pocher standards, or DeAgostini either, I think.

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marlowe-or-marty)
Estimable Member

This is very cool.  I didn't know Deagostini did an XKE.  Lacing wire wheels is probably the most difficult task I've ever encountered building a model car.  I've only done it once and that was with a Pocher Mercedes 500K.  I vowed it would be my last and I've lived up to the promise too! LOL! 

Crazy  

ReplyQuote
Ken Spear
(@kenspear)
Estimable Member

Absolutely gorgeous!!

ReplyQuote
Harrison Miniature Auto Museum
(@lu)
Reputable Member

Impressive as usual! 

ReplyQuote
Josh
 Josh
(@josh)
Estimable Member

That is truly a magnificent model and as Gavin said, best I have ever seen of the Jag coupe.

Joshua J. Shy

ReplyQuote
Share: