16.4... Is That All You Got?!?!......[PIC]

10 Posts
5 Users
12 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This 1st gen Bugatti Veyron's engine is stamped "16.4". That's not its displacement, it refers to its 8.0 liter W16 engine with 4 turbochargers, that produces just under 1000 hp. 252 of the 16.4 were built between 2005 and 2011. A later "Super Sport" model offered even more outrageous performance, in case you felt inadequate with a 0-60 of 2.4 seconds and a top speed of 253 mph.  Spoilers and wings deploy at 137 mph and the car lowers to 6" of ground clearance. The amount of engineering in this car is staggering. For example, the car has 10 radiators: 4 as intercoolers, 3 for the engine, and one each for the engine, differential, transmission oil, and the AC. Expensive tech? It's $120,000 if you blow the transmission. I still remember Jeremy Clarkson gushing over this car on the original "Top Gear". I'm sure "the Stig" had a good time too.

Veyron 016
Veyron 018
Veyron 015
Veyron 043
Veyron 017
Veyron 004
Veyron 005

Veyron 007
Veyron 019
Veyron 021
Veyron 022
Veyron 037 001
Veyron 034
Veyron 044
Veyron 040
Veyron 045

David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

Incredible vehicle and ride. Top Gear were impressed. Thanks once again Rich.

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

I wasn't a fan of the Veyron, until I saw one in person at a local car show.  It totally changed my mind.  I still don't think they're great looking (prefer its successor, the Chiron), but am very impressed by the engineering.

Mine is AutoArt's Concept version, versus Rich's production version.

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

🤣

DSC05876

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

Great plate!

ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member

Gavin and Rich,  your fine photos of the Bugatti Veyron just may have helped me make a decision.  A few years ago, when I had my number eighty birthday, I decided (gradually) to ease off on my purchase of new 1/43 models.  Neither of my sons or grandchildren have any interest in them at all.  Instead I renewed my building of model cars.  I did that years ago (Remember Revell's Highway Pioneers series?) and had built a few more over the years.  But I had a shelf of unbuilt models in storage.  So I am building them now, rather steadily if also rather slowly.  Right now I'm finishing an Austin Mini Special by Heller.    Sorry.  I didn't mean this to become an essay.  I'll try to get to your involvement.

So when I saw the Bugatti Veyron models you gentlemen have so beautifully photographed, I remembered one on my shelves.  Okay, it's a Chiron, strongly influenced by its predecessor but still somewhat similar.

IMG 8636
IMG 8637

I think I know what my next model project will be.   When I finish a model, I usually post a photo essay of the process and results on Forum 43.  It will be a few days before I can even think of getting started. But maybe in a month or so a smaller version of another Bugatti will show up on Forum 43.   Thanks for the inspiration!

David H Nerd  

This post was modified 2 months ago 4 times by David H

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

Glad to help inspire you, David H.!  Looks like a cool model!

David H reacted
ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

Gavin reacted
ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

Great trio, Marty!

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@d-m-holcombe Does Humbrol offer those exact paints?

ReplyQuote
Share: