Chrysler's Next Gen Turbine Car... [PIC]

24 Posts
7 Users
55 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The Charger ll of 1965 was to be the prototype for a 2nd generation turbine car with 500 units to be built, but by the time this car was unveiled, plans had changed and this car, based on the B-body Coronet, was to get a new nose and tail and would be piston engine powered instead, to include the 426 Street Hemi V8. This 1st gen Charger only lasted for two years with disappointing sales, but the brand lived on and represented some iconic muscle cars over the years.

1965 Dodge Charger II LF
1965 Dodge Charger II RR 314
RC2 073
RC2 008
RC2 017
RC2 072
RC2 010
RC2 001
RC2 012
RC2 011
RC2 015
RC2 007
RC2 016

Pete Rovero, Marty Johnson, 100Ford2003 and 2 people reacted
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

It is a great car, both as the dream car and then as the regular Charger. One of the 50 Turbine cars lived near me and I saw it once or twice. I understand because of tax liabilities or Federal regulations, they couldn't sell the Turbine cars even to people who offered to buy them. Almost all had to be broken up, but I think one or two were saved for display. I am happy to have both two of the Yat Ming first gen Chargers and also an Ertl Authentic edition. Really nice diecasts !

100Ford2003, John Kuvakas, Rich Sufficool and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

Hmm... never knew this was initially a 2nd-gen-Turbine car.  Fantastic pics of this model; probably the best I've seen.  I'm so glad you finally removed the shrink-wrap from the tires. 😀 😀 😀 😉 😉 

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@mikedetorrice I thought that Ghia bodied Turbine Car was the most beautiful thing I ever saw. I followed one on the Garden State Parkway for 20 miles past my exit. I was absolutely enthralled.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@chris I shot those pics back in 2006 so I must have taken the wraps off right out of the box. I think I may have shot their Rangoon Red '65 Mustang CV with the wraps on though. My memory isn't as good as yours.

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

@rich-sufficool, I agree 100%. It was incredible inside and out, a home run in all respects. I was surprised Chrsyler didn't come out with an ICE version. Put a Hemi in that thing!

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

Ghia!

I was lucky enough to see one in person, twice... in Michigan and Vegas (at least I think I saw another one in Vegas ). And of course, Jay Leno owns one.  A gorgeous design that just wasted away; only a few styling cues found their way onto production Chryslers.

Turbine 3
Turbine 2

Pete Rovero, David Green, Rich Sufficool and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Illustrious Member

I agree. It was and is still a beautiful design.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

In addition to Jay Leno's, the Chrysler museum in Detroit had a functioning one as well as the Museum of Transport in St. Louis County, Mo

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@chris

The '63 Dart had the protruding headlights.

100Ford2003, John Kuvakas, David Green and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

@rich-sufficool  Right!  I always liked that look too (nice Dart 😎 )

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Illustrious Member

@rich-sufficool 

I believe that Marilyn Monroe had them also..

bada boom bada bing....

ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @bob-jackman

In addition to Jay Leno's, the Chrysler museum in Detroit had a functioning one as well as the Museum of Transport in St. Louis County, Mo

Doesn't the Peterson Museum in L.A. have one too ?

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

@chris - The Chrysler Turbine was a relatively common sight in Detroit during the mid-sixties.  I remember how the car frequently caught my attention.  I also took notice of the Thunderbird elements styling of the car.  It was many years later I learned the stylist, Elwood Paul Engel, who also styled the '61 T-Bird, was plucked from Ford and styled this car while at Chrysler.

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

@100ford2003 - Yes, it's at the Peterson.  It's been many years since I've been there.  I planned on going with a friend that was coming to LA to visit, but the plans changed, and he couldn't make it.  But it's on the list of things to do.  I want to return to the Nethercutt as well.  

Chrysler Turbine
Chrysler Turbine 2
Chrysler Turbine Engine 1
Chrysler Turbine Engine 3

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: