Having Some Fun... [PIC]

7 Posts
5 Users
34 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Many moons ago, Guiloy offered a 1939 Delahaye 165 roadster with coachwork by Jacques Saoutchik, so despite my prior disappointments with Guiloy for their poor chasing and ragged edges of their bodies having little or no chasing of die parting flash, etc., I ordered one. Now Saoutchik did some really flashy coachwork on these Delahayes including some unique shark-nosed variants. What Guiloy delivered was the most pedestrian design imaginable. Beyond the nose grillwork, there wasn't any chrome accenting at all. There was some interesting detailing in the engine bay and the cockpit including a storage compartment for the top behind the articulating seats. The seats themselves were unconvincing and plastic looking.

I decided to jazz up the interior painting the seats and door panel to look like distressed maroon leather and then decided to make my own chrome accents around the hood, swooping side chrome and where the rear fenders met the body but they would need a 3 dimension aspect that Bare Metal Foil would offer so I cut them out of metal adhesive tape that I picked up in one of the factories I worked in while going to school.

It was an interesting project and although it's hardly an award winner, I still have it displayed (somewhere). As a postscript, years later Guiloy reissued the model under their "Top Line" marque and put dome chrome accents on all the wheel spats.

DelahayeGUILOY 002
DelahayeGUILOY 027 001
DelahayeGUILOY 003
DelahayeGUILOY 021
DelahayeGUILOY 037
DelahayeGUILOY 036
DelahayeGUILOY 035 1
DelahayeGUILOY 038
DelahayeGUILOY 015
DelahayeGUILOY 016 001
DelahayeGUILOY 010
DelahayeGUILOY 017
DelahayeGUILOY 039
DelahayeGUILOY 029
DelahayeGUILOY 018

Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

A truly sleek design ! Not too many cars featured front wheel covers/spats, although Nash comes to mind. Here, they seem to bulge out a bit in front to give a bit more wheel turning clearance. The model certainly provided a solid basis for these excellent upgrades and details.

Jack Dodds, 100Ford2003, Jack Dodds and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Your work on the seats is excellent.

Jack Dodds, Rich Sufficool, 100Ford2003 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
franklemire
(@franklemire)
Prominent Member

Very well done indeed! Your interior work is really a game changer. Some of my own collection favorites also started out as humble models. A little work can go a long way.

alfa9

Marty Johnson, Jack Dodds, Rich Sufficool and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@franklemire You  do great work with those decals. I have terrible luck with printers and that has stopped me from repainting some models

ReplyQuote
franklemire
(@franklemire)
Prominent Member

@rich-sufficool The thing with decals is I only post pictures of my successful work. There are some decals that are the result of numerous trials and errors and a lot of wasted ink and decal paper before I arrive at a successful one and then I end up screwing up the decal upon application to the car. Any time I make a decal I make four copies of each one I need.

DSCN0516
DSCN0846

They look nice when I'm done but even the simple ones can take a lot of trial and error. I can't tell you how many times I almost tossed these two Jaguar models out a window before I finally got the front and rear roundels to sit correctly and don't even get me started on the hours it sometimes takes to get 'logo' decals presentable.

IMG 1168

In the end, I guess it is worth it - at least it keeps me off the streets.

100Ford2003, Marty Johnson, Jack Dodds and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

Posted by: @bob-jackman

Your work on the seats is excellent.

agreed...they look fantastic.  Nice patina!

ReplyQuote
Share: