19 Posts
6 Users
32 Likes
jabba
(@jabba)
Topic starter  

Dear members,

if I may introduce myself briefly.
I (56) am from Germany and for many years my great passion has been car model making and collecting diecast models in 1/24-25 and 1/18 scale.

I really like that golden age of US drag racing when the so-called Funny Cars were born.

My last major accomplishment is completing these 1/18 Supercar Collectibles from the 1965s AWB Mopars.

I just want to share my great joy with you with these pictures. Maybe you find some joy in it too.
I plan to take some more shots of each one in the near future and post them here.

Thank you very much for your attention.
Best regards, jabba.

CIMG3070
CIMG3071
CIMG3073
CIMG3074

"When accelerating, the tears of emotion must flow horizontally towards to the ears."
"Good (rally) drivers have the remains of flies on the side windows."
"A car is only fast enough if you stand in front of it in the morning and are afraid to unlock it."
Walter Röhrl

Rich Sufficool, Marty Johnson, Bob Jackman and 11 people reacted
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Famed Member

Wow, that is an outstanding collection ... and welcome to the forum ! The pictures are excellent and there are a number of members here who are also knowledgeable and very into these cars and that era. 

ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Famed Member

Hello Jabba !!

You have a fantastic collection there ! We'll always look forward to seeing more pics !

Welcome to Legacy and It's Forums. 

Steve in Southern California

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member

OUTSTANDING Jabba! 

That's the VERY BEST personal collection I've seen yet of these FANTASTIC 1/18 AWB cars. Wait until Marlowe Johnson "chimes in." It's fair to say you're about to make a new friend! 😉 😉 😉 

ReplyQuote
jabba
(@jabba)
Topic starter  

@chris
Many thanks for the compliments.
This AWB Mopar collection also gave me some sleepless nights. But now I'm very happy to be able to see/present them like this.
I love these funny Mopars so much.

Yes, I've read about "Marty / Marlowe" on a few other forums and I'm fascinated by his 1/18 scale conversions too.
I'm happy to be here now and to see Marlowe Johnson active here. Then we'll wait for Marlowe.

I have to go offline soon, still have things to do. I'll check back here later.

"When accelerating, the tears of emotion must flow horizontally towards to the ears."
"A car is only fast enough if you stand in front of it in the morning and are afraid to unlock it."
Walter Röhrl

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

OMG!  This is very impressive.  It would appear you have all the versions of the available factory cars.  

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member

I love those MOPAR AWBs. Thanks for the pics.

ReplyQuote
jabba
(@jabba)
Topic starter  

Thank you for all the kind words.

@marty-johnson
Yes, these should be all 1/18 diecast cars of the factory cars which were made from supercar1. And in addition, Mr. Norm's Hardtop and some private sedans.

There were still in 1:1 some carburetor versions (COLOR ME GONE, FLYING CARPET, HEMI HONKER, HAULIN HEMI), an injected MELROSE MISSILE and the two supercharged Mr. Norm versions (2-tone-blue & silver/red) which I'm considering as future custom builds.

20220702 074330 v1
20220702 074751 v1
20220702 074637 v1
20220702 075136 v1
20220702 075017 v1

However, I'm not sure if Roger Lindamood's COLOR ME GONE has ever had a carbureted full AWB version for a time period. All my references shows the COLOR ME GONE either as a 2% car with carburetors or as a full AWB car with stacks (injected).

Walter Röhrl

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

@jabba - Fortunately, all of the parts are available to do custom modifications to fill in missing versions.  I did the Mr. Norm supercharged car over a weekend. 

DSC07537
DSC07555
DSC07549
Mr Norm

jabba and jabba reacted
ReplyQuote
jabba
(@jabba)
Topic starter  

Oh... thanks for sharing the pictures of this super nice conversion.
If there was an opportunity here, I would have given 10 likes.

I tell you... I saw this Mr. Norm conversion years ago in some other forums and followed your pictures and texts very carefully and intensively. A very clean and beautiful work ... and for a weekend ... Respect. For me, this often takes weeks to months...

I wanted to contact you there because of some questions about this conversion, but you haven't been online there for a long time.

Well, and then I discovered some more of your super nice conversions like the long-nose GAS RONDA Mustang, Nicholson flip-top FC and Butch Leal CALIFORNIA FLASH sedan conversion (great respect and appreciation for all these conversions). Nice and clean work - I know from experience that these metal cars are far more difficult to modify than "easy" plastic model cars.

I think I'll have to write a longer email to you.
Otherwise I deviate too far from the original topic here... 😉.
Perhaps this is not welcomed here...

Walter Röhrl

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

@jabba - Thank you so much for your kind words.  It's always cool to hear from people interested in doing modification projects.  The Butch Leal car was my first major modification project.  As the first major modification, I spent a lot of money on that project that I wouldn't need to spend today.  Experience taught me money-saving techniques that reduced the cost significantly.  

There are literally no rules here regarding content, length, or frequency of posts.  You do not need to allow that to be any concern.  However, please feel free to email me.  I have reference photos for you on the Bud Faubel turbocharged Hemi Honker.  

marlowemar "at" aol.com  

Of course, replace the "at" with an ampersand, @

Also, I'm curious.  Are you planning on converting the Melrose Missle into the roadster version?  In the past, I have given thought to doing that too.  That would be a fun project that wouldn't be too difficult to pull off.  

yother
This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Marty Johnson

jabba and jabba reacted
ReplyQuote
jabba
(@jabba)
Topic starter  

I would be very happy if you would tell me one or the other cost-saving technique (gladly later also via Email).
You never stop learning in model making.

Your CALIFORNIA FLASH just looks great. And there is no AWB Sedan from Supercar1, so theirs is unique.

For my other planned conversions, I'm also considering casting the parts I need again and again in cast resin. For the three planned carbed versions of HEMI HONKER, FLYING CARPET and COLOR ME GONE I need 6 Holley carburetors and 3 intake manifolds. I will probably make them in cast resin.

Yes, I'm also impressed by the MELROSE MISSILE Roadster. I would also be very interested in this one. I ask myself the question of whether it would make sense to buy a second MELROSE MISSILE from Supercar1 and convert it. Then I would have saved at least some of the paint job and decals. On the other hand, Ebay doesn't offer that many for sale and they aren't cheap either. Do you have reference photos from the interieur, dash, etc. ?

Here in Europe it is also very difficult to get the right colors that were used on the cars at that time. For example there are so many different shades of blue. For example, I need some paint to touch up paint defects on the 2-tone-blue Mr. Norm AWB Coronet and to repaint the modified hood.

I ask myself: With your conversion I can no longer see any holes from the original air scoop attachment. Usually after removing the air scoop there are 4 unsightly holes in the hood ... 🤔 . If you allow:

DSC07557

I would also be very interested in '64 - '66 Comets and of course all the beautiful '66 long-nosed Mustangs.

Here I have a '65 Mustang Fastback, a '66 Chevelle, a '65 GTO (all three stock) and a '63 Tempest. The '65 Mustang could eventually become the basis for (many) '66 long-nosed Mustangs. Then I thought of Bruce Larson's '66 USA-1 Chevelle, Lew Arrington's '65 BRUTUS GTO and Arnie Beswick's '63 TAMELESS TIGER Tempest....

Unfortunately I don't have that much time every day/week to do all these projects ... 😫 .

Walter Röhrl

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

@jabba - Most of the mid-sixties drag racing cars used factory color paint.  I'm not sure if you have PPG paint stores in Germany but if you do, you can order the original paint from 1965 or 1966 from PPG.  The worst-case scenario is you can order it from a PPG store in the USA and have it shipped to Germany.  I've done that with most of my projects.  

Yes, you are right.  Working in metal means the work to duplicate 1:1 cars requires a lot of time.  I have one unfinished project which I started almost 3 years ago.  Frankly, I doubt I'll ever finish it.  It is the '66 Doug Nash Bronco Buster.  Butch Leal never had a sedan AWB car.  It did that car almost 13 years ago BEFORE Supercar did their AWB series.  There were no Mopar hardtops available.  If there was, I would have swapped out the sedan roof for the hardtop.  I've done similar roof swapping with a number of my projects.  

On Facebook, I came across a builder name Mike Urbas.  He did the Arnie Beswick '63 Tempest and was working on the Bruce Larson USA-1 Chevelle.  He left FB and I lost contact with him but here are photos of his great work.  

57154743 2444280422262447 5957424234337665024 o
57113160 2444278995595923 2846748003606200320 o
57936084 2444280795595743 2695266989567377408 o
57434217 2444279382262551 7456645876824408064 o
Beswick Tempest
59342912 2472337609456728 6666319693327892480 o
59234811 2472483089442180 3468167288153178112 o
59330219 2472338686123287 7925232546894315520 o

jabba and jabba reacted
ReplyQuote
jabba
(@jabba)
Topic starter  

I wrote you an email. I hope it arrives.

The Tameless Tiger also looks very nice. I think that chassis could be taken from Beswick's '66 GTO. A very nice job as we can see in the pictures.
It's a pity that the user is no longer active on FB.

Your Bronco Buster conversion will probably be a bit more of a challenge and definitely a very unusual car. Please keep me updated.

For me it is often the case that I have several open projects and, depending on my motivation, I continue here and somewhere else ... the way is the goal... 😉 .

For the early flip-top Funny Cars, I think the ERTL Funny Cars (for example Beswick's GTOs) with the Logghe chassis are the first choice.
Although this Logghe chassis could still be improved, similar to your conversions.

I believe a lot of the first flip-top FCs had a Logghe I chassis and the ERTL chassis is a Logghe II chassis.
But we don't want to be too specific ... 😉 

Walter Röhrl

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

@jabba - You are correct.  The Ertl Logghe's are all Stage II. 

Actually, that presented some problems for me with my Jack Chrisman GT-1.  The top side rail on the Stage II was not uniformly parallel as was the Stage I chassis.  The upper and lower horizontal rails started with more space at the rear and angling closer together with a taper to the bottom rail at the front. When mounting the supercharged 427 SOHC engine, it sat too high in the chassis and I couldn't get the body to close properly because the top of the blower intake scoop came in contact.  Ultimately, I had to section the blower casing so it sat lower between the cylinder heads.  It looks a bit goofy but I had no choice other than to completely modify the chassis or recreate a brand new one.  I was too lazy and took the easier path by sectioning the blower. 

Jack interior

jabba and jabba reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: