Just Cruisin'... [PIC]

9 Posts
6 Users
28 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The quintessential land yacht, for me was the Mercury Turnpike Cruiser. This rather inexpensive model had good bones, so it was worth detailing the dash, unpholstery, door panels,door sills, wheel covers, wheel well trim, grill and other touch-ups.

MercTPC 001
MercTPC 019
MercTPC 016
MercTPC 021
MercTPC 007
MercTPC 012
MercTPC 013
MercTPC 009
MercTPC 010
MercTPC 011
MercTPC 005
MercTPC 014
MercTPC 003

franklemire
(@franklemire)
Honorable Member

Truly one of the classic 'Land Yachts' of a bygone era. What fun it was as a kid waiting to see what 'next years model' was going to look like. Nice detail work! 

Mike DeTorrice, Marty Johnson, Jack Dodds and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @franklemire

Truly one of the classic 'Land Yachts' of a bygone era. What fun it was as a kid waiting to see what 'next years model' was going to look like. Nice detail work! 

In 1958, I just hated those land yachts. We had a few un-PC derogatory terms for these cars that 6 decades later, I wouldn't dare repeat. Now I just adore these great examples of automotive kitsch.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @franklemire

So true about eagerly awaiting the 3rd week of September every year to make the rounds of all the dealerships unveiling the latest cars.  It is one of my favorite memories....so exciting!

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Nice detailing and pictures Rich.

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

@franklemire - As a kid growing up in Detroit, I loved when my father drove past the Alfred Kahn designed GM World Headquarters on West Grand Boulevard.  On the ground floor, throughout the year GM would display their cars that could be seen as we drove by through the glass windows.  During the model changeover, which was usually in September, GM would cover the windows until the time was right to reveal the cars to the public.  An annual highlight of my childhood was marked with excitement to see the newly redesigned cars that were common among most brands and models.  

View of GM Building looking southeast on West Grand Boulevard Ferens Collection 2

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

Nice work on the model.  I always loved these over-the-top Mercury Turnpike Cruisers.  They epitomized the excess of the era.  Interestingly, the hardtop Mercury and Lincoln featured the electric breezeway rear window (backlite).  However, unlike the convertible, the Mercury had a plastic backlite instead of the glass that was a feature on the Lincoln convertible.  

Here's Danbury Mint's hardtop version.

DSC04226
DSC04229
DSC04230
DSC04238
DSC04235
DSC04228

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @marty-johnson

Nice work on the model.  I always loved these over-the-top Mercury Turnpike Cruisers.  They epitomized the excess of the era.  Interestingly, the hardtop Mercury and Lincoln featured the electric breezeway rear window (backlite).  However, unlike the convertible, the Mercury had a plastic backlite instead of the glass that was a feature on the Lincoln convertible.  

Here's Danbury Mint's hardtop version.

DSC04226
DSC04229
DSC04230
DSC04238
DSC04235
DSC04228

I have that model also. I love the bubble skirts and the working continental spare.

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Famed Member

Yat Ming did a fine job on this Mercury stunner from '57 and I have this same color YM 1/18th, too. Great detailing and pictures of this beauty.

ReplyQuote
Share: