My Kind of Jaguar.....

Notifications
Clear all

My Kind of Jaguar.... [PIC]

Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

Tom Wilinshaw's 1980 TWR V12 XJS coupe including a cabin I can actually sit in. British Racing Green with cool graphics, big old fat tires, ear splitting side exiting open exhausts and a stretched out 6.0 liter V12.... I'd love to rat this around a track. Debuted in 1975, this XJ series was the last car to be designed by the influence of Sir William Lyons and Malcolm Sayer to replace the XKE and was initially panned for its design, but the critics were proved wrong and this car, in coupe, saloon and drop top had a 20 year production life span. It's hard to conceive of any model replacing the XKE, but I quite love its look and stance as well as the fact I could actually stretch out in this car.

JagXJS 039
JagXJS 032
JagXJS 033
JagXJS 027
JagXJS 026
JagXJS 011
JagXJS 009
JagXJS 020
JagXJS 022
JagXJS 021
JagXJS 023
JagXJS 024
JagXJS 017
JagXJS 018
JagXJS 003
JagXJS 007

JagXJS 001
JagXJS 035
JagXJS 036 001

David Green
(@david-green)
Famed Member

The XJS is a car that grew on me over the years. Initially, it was so different than the E-Type that I rejected it. Big mistake! I know have a dozen or more in my collection, albeit in 1/43 scale mainly. This TWR version is a gem.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

@david-green The reality was that there was no real 'replacement' for the XKE so it's no surprise that it was critically panned and then later quite beloved. Also, introducing a V12 coupe in the middle of the 1975 global gas crisis was certainly poorly timed.

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Reputable Member

I absolutely love the styling on the XJS, especially the front end & those cool C-pillars.  I can see how there's no way it would stand up to the iconic E-Type, but it has a fantastic style all its own.  A neighbor had a really nice blue on in the mid '80s...ended up selling it for the then new W124 300E.

I missed out on this model, unfortunately...it was one I really wanted, but was sort of on a break from the hobby.  I do have a YM street version, which is pretty good for the price.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

Nice. That's a later model with the wood dash and different cluster.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Honorable Member

That is pretty nice for the price Gavin.... love those colors.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Honorable Member

That is pretty nice for the price Gavin.... love those colors.

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Reputable Member

Thanks @chris.  The color combo is what got me & why I never pulled the trigger on AutoArt's street car (only available in black or white).

ReplyQuote
Share: