Clear all

[Sticky] Lost Reviews - Franklin Mint & Danbury Mint

640 Posts
14 Users
680 Likes
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

@perrone1 The 1961 Lincoln was certainly a radical departure from the 58-60 huge unibody boats. I love both, even if they are worlds apart, enough to have all four colors. Your copy had me going back to see the differences in each.

Tony Perrone reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

perrone1 Seemed for a while I was receiving another MoPar model every month. Even with the number I have, I would have loved to get a 1956 Fury and some Dodges and Imperials.

Tony Perrone reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bob-jackman

@perrone1 The 1961 Lincoln was certainly a radical departure from the 58-60 huge unibody boats. I love both, even if they are worlds apart, enough to have all four colors. Your copy had me going back to see the differences in each.

Cool!!  Cool

ReplyQuote
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin
Topic starter  

perrone1 Seemed for a while I was receiving another MoPar model every month. Even with the number I have, I would have loved to get a 1956 Fury and some Dodges and Imperials.

Oh yeah - 56 Fury!! And here is the Imperial we ALMOST got!!

Bob Jackman reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

@perrone1 Too bad we didn't get the Imperial. In the last year there has been practically every year Imperial models made in 1/43 scale

Tony Perrone reacted
ReplyQuote
Geoff Jowett
(@geoff-jowett)
Illustrious Member

The Coral color, along with the Wisteria on the convertible are the absolute perfect colors on these beautiful models.

The Coral color, along with the Wisteria on the convertible are the absolute perfect colors on these beautiful models.

100% agree Bob, both models sit together perfectly thanks to their complimentary colors. Thanks again for the memory revivals Tony!

Tony Perrone reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

@perrone1 Have it, love it.

Tony Perrone reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @geoff-jowett

100% agree Bob, both models sit together perfectly thanks to their complimentary colors. Thanks again for the memory revivals Tony!

De nada my friend! Wink

Geoff Jowett reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin
Topic starter  

@perrone1 Have it, love it.

Now how did I know that?  HA!  Wink

ReplyQuote
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin
Topic starter  

Danbury Mint 1958 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe 50th Ann Ed – 1551

Now this is a fifties cruiser folks! Skirts, twin antennas, pastel fifties shade of green, sloop-back roof, wrap-around windshield and rear glass, chrome side spears and multi-color interior. I know that some of us were not pleased with the older tooling; I read the boards. And I know from checking out our Car List & Reviews section that this isn’t Danbury’s first rodeo with the ’58 Chevy image. Since the initial offering in ’93 and including this version, there have been eight variations. But half of them are convertibles. This coupe may be the quintessential variant for the fifties Impala with a perfectly period cloak of Glen Green.

Although some may argue that there is no new tech offered with this iteration I’d counter with the fact that it has come to be made flawlessly within its generation; fit and finish is impeccable. It also now wears chrome metal foil scripts and badges. And while new hinges and suspension componentry may not be of the DM next millennium, what you get is a 50th anniversary image that is as clean and perfectly executed as any diecast builder can make it. Everything operates as if DM has been building this model for the last fifteen years. They have it just where they want it. All body panels and opening doors, hood and trunk fit laser-like. The paint is as smooth and rich as any car they have manufactured. The interior is a joy in all its multi-level green hues and tints.

The dash, wheel and floorboards all exhibit wonderful detail and the visors fold down. The skirts are removable. Good, because I like the look better that way. I know, the ‘look’ of the fifty-eight cruiser is more elongated with the skirts in place. No prob, they come off and go back on easily and simply. The trunk, chassis and engine wear original technology but wear it well. The essential image of the model is clean and undistracted from the form and stance of the 1:1 car itself. For a lovely 50th anniversary version of the ’58 Impala, you have to travel a long way to find better.

TP 04/23/2008

ReplyQuote
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin
Topic starter  

Danbury Mint 1958 Corvette Roadster- Nbr Ltd Ed Limited to 2008 Production – 1538

For the fiftieth anniversary of its birth, Danbury Mint will limit production of this beautiful diecast model to however many units are made in 2008. Then production ceases as of 12/31/08. The second rarest color, next to silver, was Panama Yellow for Corvette’s model year 1958. The DM boys crafted up a gem in this, their latest 50th anniversary Corvette achievement. They replicated the fuel injected engine option and outfitted it with white coves, charcoal interior and an auxiliary top.

The model boasts the same precision detailing as its more high-tech predecessors utilizing internal door hinging, scaled hood prop-rod, photo-etched seat belt ends, highly detailed engine bay, chrome metal-foiled insignias and genuinely-crafted chassis markings. From the early years, we have nearly come to forget panel gapping. I, for one, am glad for that. But lest we overlook it, the intrinsic value we place on close body-panel fit can be traced back to Danbury Mint. The Vette’s hood, doors and trunk lid all fit precise and equal all the way around. Tolerances are tight. Operating functions are still cool despite model repetition. The result is a remarkably scale version of the real car. Speaking of which, I have viewed a multi top flight NCRS (National Corvette Restoration Society) Panama Yellow fifty-eight first hand and up close.  DM’s paint shade is spot on!

The charcoal interior is gorgeous. More matte than glossy, it appears very realistic with that specific treatment. The dash, gauges and console appointments, door hardware and floor materiale is extremely well crafted. Underneath the hard top is detailed and the fit is exceptional. Under the truck lid is a removable rubber floor mat. Under that is the jacking instruction-labeled spare cover and under that is the actual spare. DM formulated a jack inside the spare’s wheel but it, too, is removable for inspection. The suspension is fully workable and so is the antenna, fuel filler door and hood prop rod. The engine detailing is typical DM; awesome! The fuelie exhibits incomparable detail for this scale. Fuel lines, plug wiring, water hoses, all beyond description.

For color selection, thorough carry-out of replication and sheer display presence, the new Panama Yellow Vette is exquisite!  TP 02/04/2008

Bob Jackman reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin
Topic starter  

Danbury Mint 1958 Ford Thunderbird Watson Custom – 1553

When DM released their new “Squarebird” in 2005, it exemplified the styling and grace of the real car. A 1958 model year convertible in Monarch Blue with white top, it was roundly cheered by us collectors. Their 1959 rendition’s were issued as well as a 1958 coupe between ’05 and ‘07. The gorgeous tooling is a natural to replicate one of the most famous squarebird’s of all time; Larry Watson’s Starbird Hall of Fame ’58 coupe. Watson made a name for himself in painting pinstripes, scallops and flame jobs on cars as a teenager. But when he bought this new ’58 four-seat bird he garnered much attention and media praise for its uniqueness in paint styling.

He sprayed the car an expensive platinum pearl but wasn’t satisfied with the ‘look’. A couple days afterward he decided to mask off the panels and overspray it with a deep purple plum color and highlight the contrasting color changes with lavender pinstriping. It gave rise to the term, “panel painting”. But Larry wasn’t finished. The whole car was lowered, treated to lakes pipes, Dodge Lancer wheel covers, painted mesh grill, bullets on the front bumper and rear taillights and capped off with twin spotlights. His interior was left stock. The car has since been totally restored and accurately modeled by DM down to the last detail.

The Danbury boys did their usual great job of model magic slight-of-hand. It takes less and less imagination to believe this is the real object. I’m certain the 1:24th scale custom would make Larry Watson proud of his original creation and DM’s recreation in miniature. The paint is flawless on my #840. The glossy shine is a foot deep and the color breaks between platinum and grape are perfection. But get out the magnifiers folks because the pinstripe in lavender that separates them is spectacular! And someone at the plant spent way too much time waxing this beauty; they’re sure to ask for a raise. Danbury lowered their previous ’58 tooling and the car achieves that low-rider look. There’s sparse room between street pavement and side pipes. Oh so sweet!

The pipes are carried out just the way Larry envisioned them, breaking out along the side while flowing rearward beneath the car and exiting as long twin chrome extensions. The Mint added those nice period touches I mentioned, bullet bumpers, taillights and painted mesh grillwork. The Dodge Lancer wheel covers are in place and so is all that chrome dressing up the big V8. The wiring, hoses, fuel lines and washer bag add a nice touch of realism under the big hood. The interior is awash in detail as well. The internally-hinged door opens to show off the black and white bucket seats. They fold forward to allow a better view of the rear. Tiny coat hooks are evident, all gauges look good and console, door panels and floor pedals display great detail.

The trunk has a fixed and well-detailed jack and tire tool but the spare comes out. It has the simulated ‘hold down’ mechanism crafted to it. The Tartan floor mat looks real. And speaking of real, DM fashioned up a miniature California plate just like the genuine article affixed to Mr. Watson’s ride. He sure customized a beautiful little T-Bird back then and DM sure did the same with their ’58 replica. TP 07/23/2008

ReplyQuote
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin
Topic starter  

Danbury Mint 1958 Packard Hawk 50th Ann Ed - 1549

This has been a good year for DM 50th anniversary editions. There have been a couple images of the 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk issued by DM and I reviewed the first 1958 Packard Hawk in Waterfall Blue. I dearly love that model. So to enter a 50th anny version of that car in the parade didn’t push any buttons for me  -  until I saw it, and saw it up close and personal.

Take an ugly duckling, a catfish-faced pseudo-Studie and add on a “toilet seat trunk lid” and swaddle it in a deep maroon-red paint with saddle tan and gold accents, medium-wide whites and chrome as if from Planet Gleaming and you have a transformed rock star swan! The car was so obnoxious it is now classic good looks and paid up on its 50 year dues.

DM captured the essence of the late-year breed. They added chrome metal foil lettering on the snout, excuse me, nose of the car with the added brilliance of the circled Packard symbol, tossed in matching rear trunk lid edge badge and scripts and, “Packard” scripts on either rear fender inset. The twin antennas are scaled, the gas filler door opens and the trunk shows off detail like crazy. You can remove the fabric-covered spare to reveal the tire iron and jack. The interior is fitted out with like detail. The dashboard and gauges and steering wheel are elegantly finished and the chassis is done extremely well.

The engine bay may rightly be considered the star of the show if not for the overall look of the uniquely-styled fifties icon itself. The supercharger takes center stage and DM did its due diligence in connecting all the proper hoses, lines and wires to the motor. This is a fun little piece that, wrapped in a maroon 50th anniversary robe, makes a truly exceptional statement. Not just any ugly duckling becomes a swan; it may take the DM to pull it off!  TP 04/23/2008

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

@perrone1 Having owned a 1/1 scale 58 Impala hardtop, I had to have any 58 Impala that DM produced. I love each and every one but wished they had narrowed the rocker molding trim.

Tony Perrone reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin
Topic starter  

@bob-jackman 

Looks a touch off! Thanks so much for your invaluable comments my friend!!  Cool  

ReplyQuote
Page 33 / 43
Share: