Mix or Match?... [PIC]

11 Posts
6 Users
28 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

A '56 Pontiac Star Chief 4 dr Hardtop... promo in 1/25 parked next to FM's '55 Star Chief? It almost works. The promo is a symphony in Bare Metal Foil and silver foil.

Pontiac 005
Pontiac 001
Pontiac 004
Pontiac 003
Pontiac 005
Pontiac 030
Pontiac 031

Pete Rovero, Mike DeTorrice, George Schire and 11 people reacted
Chav
 Chav
(@chav)
Famed Member

Looks great! No plastic warping either ...

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

I really like the colors.

ReplyQuote
John Shamblin
(@shambles)
Noble Member

I tried my hand at Bare Metal Foil a few times. It wasn't pretty! Ain't as easy as it would seem.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @shambles

I tried my hand at Bare Metal Foil a few times. It wasn't pretty! Ain't as easy as it would seem.

Yes... It's the right tools and technique. I'd already been playing around with BMF for decades before I did this one. The small scripts and badging were to small for BMF which is why I used silver foil. It's not as shiny but you can adapt it to the smallest most intricate areas.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

A friend owns a 1/1 like this 56 in these colors. He found it in perfect condition about five years ago...it's exactly like one he had when we were in high school. Love the detailing on this promo.

ReplyQuote
Pete Rovero
(@pete-rovero)
Famed Member

Fantastic job on the '56 Rich.  I've played around with BMF but never heard of silver foil. Is it similar to gold leaf?  How is it applied?

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @pete-rovero

Fantastic job on the '56 Rich.  I've played around with BMF but never heard of silver foil. Is it similar to gold leaf?  How is it applied?

Without getting into a tutorial, silver foil has the same properties as gold foil or Dutch gold foil if you've used one of those before. I got into gold foil when I was stationed in Thailand. When people went to their Buddhist temples, they purchased small sheets of gold foil to burnish on various statuaries. Large  projects included Chedi  or Stupa domes and other architectural elements.

For the real tiny scripts and badging, you just paint the adhesive on with a #00 brush and when dry, burnish the foil on it and when done, brush the excess away. It only adheres to where you apply the adhesive.

Pete Rovero, John Shamblin, Pete Rovero and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @bob-jackman

A friend owns a 1/1 like this 56 in these colors. He found it in perfect condition about five years ago...it's exactly like one he had when we were in high school. Love the detailing on this promo.

Wow....do you know any of the details about the car and how it survived in such great shape Bob?

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Jack, He bought it at a Mecum auction but has no history on the car.

ReplyQuote
Pete Rovero
(@pete-rovero)
Famed Member

@rich-sufficool 

Thanks for the info Rich!

ReplyQuote
Share: