300 Likes
16.1 K Views
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

1952 Cunningham C-4RK

8b54eeee665ef3ba083f626e573464aa

By 1951 the Cunningham practice was to use “R” to designate racing cars. The “K” added to this one referred to Dr. Wunibald Kamm, a German scientist brought to this country after World War II. Reducing drag coefficient was his special area of expertise, Kamm being the first to demolish the theory that race cars were most competitive with long, pointed tails. Aerodynamically efficient Kamm-back coupes proliferated after the war. This Cunningham is a Kamm-back but with a difference. It is the only car known to have received the personal touch of Dr. Kamm himself, who made a quick trip to West Palm Beach to flatten this Cunningham’s tail.

C4RK profile 0011
C4Rk dash 052 crop1

With its high beltline, low roofline, twin scoops on the cowl and louvers all over, the C-4RK looked absolutely menacing. Nevertheless, the car’s claustrophic cockpit had persuaded Briggs that this was one Cunningham in which he did not care to compete. Consequently, driven by Phil Walters at Le Mans in 1952, the car was indeed intimidating as it stormed into the lead shortly after the start, with a pair of Ferraris and a Jag in frantic pursuit. The pace was too hot to last. A car has to finish to win, and the C-4RK didn’t. Valuable time was lost when Walters’ co-driver Duane Carter, who was used to driving the oval at the Indianapolis, smacked into the sandbank at Tertre Rouge and spent nearly two hours digging the car out. By midnight the C-4RK succumbed to the valve gear trouble that had also finished the race for the Fitch-Rice C-4R roadster, leaving Briggs alone on the course in the remaining Cunningham.

Nonetheless, while it was running, the C-4RK had proved as ferocious as its appearance. Walters’ 105.6 mph second lap was the Cunningham team’s best that year, and was even a bit quicker than the winning 300SL Mercedes’ fastest lap as well.

Here is my self built 1952 Cunningham C-4RK from a French Provence Moulage rain kit.

P1090499
P1090500
P1090505
P1090506
P1090503
P1090501

I have always been attracted to Briggs Cunninham's American racecars, especially those that raced at Le Mans.

Ed Glorius, Harv Goranson, John Kuvakas and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

Nice write-up David! When we get to 1953, I will post a few Cunninghams, as I am a fan of the marque too. Do you get the feeling you and I are the only Le Mans fans here?

In the meantime, how about the Team Cunningham transporter?

St Petersburg SPTC220 Fageol Cunningham Truck pic1

Ed Glorius, Karl Schnelle, Ed Glorius and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@mg-harv

That would be great Harv. I actually will skip 1953 for the time being because I did not do a kit build for the winner that year and have not dug out my others to take pictures. If you would like to add some from 1953, that would be great.

I have 1954 ready to go. Yes, not to many Le Mans fans but there are a few. Hope to entice some more. Love that transporter. 

I do have written for the 1953 year ready to go.

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

@david-green If you want to post your writeup, I can add my photos.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

1f4090176af32e1354915b5448d8672e
a8968e80 4110 11e6 868f 0fadfe5bfabe

The 1953 24 Hours of Le Mans was the 21st Grand Prix of Endurance, and took place on 13 and 14 June 1953, at the Circuit de la Sarthe, Le Mans.
Jaguar returned with their C-Types and after the debacle of the previous year, were determined not to repeat those mistakes, having undertaken a lot of development work. Team manager ‘Lofty’ England employed the same driver pairings as 1952, with Peter Walker and Stirling MossPeter Whitehead and Ian Stewart, and Tony Rolt and Duncan Hamilton. The cars reverted to the aerodynamic design prior to that of the 1952 Le Mans cars, whose revised nose and tail had adversely affected stability at speeds over 120 mph. For 1953 the cars were lighter and more powerful (now developing 218 bhp), and they were the first-ever Le Mans cars equipped with disc brakes, from Dunlop, whose greater efficiency gave the C-Types a distinct advantage over their drum-braked competitors.

jaguar c type 1953 le mans rolt hamilton and moss
C36048

With three hours to ago, the Jaguars were lapping in the lead at over 105 mph, however the pace had slackened a little. In the closing stages,  No.18 Jaguar C-Type lead, as Hamilton took over from Rolt to complete the last stage of the race. Driving their British license-plated Jaguar C-Type they took the victory, covering a distance of 2,555.04 miles (4,088.064 km), doing 304 laps and averaging a speed of 106.46 mph (170.336 km/h). Moss and Walker were four laps adrift at the finish, in second place with their C-Type after their epic drive. The podium was completed by Walters and Fitch, in their Cunningham C-5R a lap back. The third works Jaguar finished fourth, two laps further behind the Americans, after a very conservative and reliable race.

Harv Goranson has Kindly offered to add model images for 1953.

Ed Glorius, Tony Perrone, Harv Goranson and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

@david-green So here are my 1953 Le Mans cars. Back in the 2000-01 period Quartzo (a Vitesse sub-brand) made several of the 1953 entrants, including the Rolt/Hamilton winner below.

Quartzo QLM033 Jaguar C Type 1st LM53 pic1
Quartzo QLM033 Jaguar C Type 1st LM53 pic2

Quartzo also made the 2nd place Moss/Walker car No. 17:

Quartzo QLM034 Jaguar C Type 2nd LM53 pic1
Quartzo QLM034 Jaguar C Type 2nd LM53 pic2

The C-Types did well, with no retirements. I have one more C-Type, the No. 20 car entered by Ecurie Franchorchamps, driven to 9th place by Kaurent and de Tornaco. 

Ixo LMC005 Jaguar C Type 9th LM53 pic1
Ixo LMC005 Jaguar C Type 9th LM53 pic2

I'm sure Ixo or Quartzo made the 4th place No. 19 car, but somewhere along the way I neglected to buy one. 

Third place went to Briggs Cunningham's team with Phil Walters and John Fitch in the No. 2 Cunningham C-5R. Powered by Chrysler's hemi-V8, it must have impressed the European crowd, including someone from Dinky Toys, who made a diecast of it. It reached the highest speed in the race, clocked on the Mulsanne straight at 155 mph. Their 3rd place finish was the best Briggs ever did at Le Mans. Bizarre made my model (BZ037) around 2003 or 2004.

Bizarre BZ037 Cunningham C 5R pic1
Bizarre BZ037 Cunningham C 5R pic2

For Christmas some years ago, after I expressed an interest in Peter Hearsey's impressionist print of the C-5R, my wife bought it for me. It actual hangs in our living room, it just seems to fit in there with all our other knick-Knacks. The print is signed by Hearsey and John Fitch. My wife (bless her) also had Hearsey re-marque the print, consisting of a pencil sketch of the C-4RK driven by Moran and Bennett to 10th place. Another Bizarre model (BZ112), which could almost stand in for the 1952 car, having the same number.

Hearsey 1953 C5R
Bizarre BZ112 1953 Cunningham C4RK with Hearsey
Bizarre BZ112 Cunningham C 4RK pic1
Bizarre BZ112 Cunningham C 4RK pic2

BTW, I got to see the real C-4RK in Costa Mesa CA in 1982 when Briggs still had his museum open there. Here's a pic of it sitting next to a C-4R roadster.

Cunningham C 4R and C 4RK

My last model from the race is another Quartzo, the Aston Martin DB3S of Parnell/Collins. It DNF'd in the second hour due to an accident. Pretty car though.

Quartzo QLM029 Aston Martin DB3S DNF LM53 pic1
Quartzo QLM029 Aston Martin DB3S DNF LM53 pic2

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Harv Goranson

Karl Schnelle, John Kuvakas, Ed Glorius and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@mg-harv

Hi Harv,

You have done an outstanding coverage of the 1953 Le Mans race here. I'm glad that you selected the Quartzo models for inclusion. Now discontinued, they remain some of my favourite Le Mans models both in detail and accuracy. I have the Jaguars by Quartzo but not the Aston. Those Bizarre Cunninghams are outstanding. Seeing your C-4RK, I realize that I should have included the #1 car for 1952, not the #3 car that I photographed, which is the number for the 1953 entry.

The Cunningham cars were shown in Watkins Glen, NY. some years ago when they were on loan from the California museum. They had two on display at that time in the 1990s. I missed the California museum but did get to Watkins Glen.

I really like your Peter Hearsey print. As soon as I saw it, I went to my study to see if I had any by him. Unfortunately not, but I do have two by Keith Woodcock. I've shown here his 1962 E-Type at Tertre Rouge, with the Cunningham E-Type ahead of the Ferrari GTO. This is signed by Briggs Cunningham and Ray Salvadori from that later time when Cunningham stopped making his own race cars.  My other is from 1984 with the Group 44 Jaguar, also signed. I treasure these prints as I'm sure you do also.

P1090508

Hopefully, more of our fellow Diecast Zone members will become interested in Le Mans and similar sportscar racing. Thank you Harv.

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

@david-green David - Check out another print I have, almost the same vantage, but from 1963, by Graham Turner. Pictured with it are the 1st and 2nd place cars in 1/43. I've since upgraded the 250 P to a LookSmart; the GTO is by Kyosho. The left signature is hard to make out but I think it is one of the GTO drivers, Gerard Langlois van Ophem. 

Turner 1963 Ferraris Le Mans

Karl Schnelle, John Kuvakas, David Green and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@mg-harv

That is another great print Harv. I like your model pair shown with it. I have the 250P built by Starter, also an IXO issue but would prefer the LookSmart version. While I have several GTOs, I don't have that No.24. I appreciate you sharing these.

I'll likely do 1954 sometime next week.

John Kuvakas, Harv Goranson, John Kuvakas and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

@david-green This has turned into quite a collaborative effort David!

David Green, John Kuvakas, David Green and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@mg-harv

I agree, and I look forward to it continuing. Much more fun that way.

John Kuvakas, Harv Goranson, John Kuvakas and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

This is really interesting material...thank you!

Harv Goranson, David Green, John Kuvakas and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jeff G
(@old-caddys)
Estimable Member

@david-green @mg-harv

I'm also a fan of IMSA, WEC, Can-Am,  and just about any type of road racing and have some cars in 1/43 scale from the 50s through the 2000s. I just haven't taken photos of them yet. I just haven't had the time in the last few months to take pictures of my collection, it looks like I might be able to get back to some picture taking now that things have slowed down around the house and I have some more "free" time. I enjoy the F1 series David started and you both have very nice collections of race cars.

Harv Goranson, David Green, Harv Goranson and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@old-caddys

Hi Jeff.

It is nice to find members with similar interests. Your input is very welcome with or without pictures. Formula 1, CanAm and other racing will continue to feature in The Diecast Zone as Harv, myself and many others add posts. We love posting and getting replies. Thanks for your kind comments.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Le Mans 600x900
375 plus views
54LeMans 102
image asset
24h mans 1954
1954 le mans win trintignant and gonzalez

The 1954 24 Hours of Le Mans was a race for Sports Cars, and took place on 12 and 13 June 1954, at the Circuit de la SartheLe MansFrance. 
The race was won by José Froilán González and Maurice Trintignant driving a Ferrari 375 Plus.

c0452395 800px wm
open uri20120929 16334 bpicdz
24hdumans1954
1954 Jaguar DType1
1954 Le Mans Pitstop

Here is the winning Ferrari built by me from a resin kit by STARTER of France

P1080548
P1080550
P1080551
P1080552
P1080553

People viewed this race as a battle between brute force and science. In the high technology corner, with its sleek, aerodynamic bodywork was the new 3.4-litre Jaguar D-Type, and in the other corner was Ferrari's formidable 5.0-litre V12 375 Plus. Ranged in between was everyone else. The race was heavily affected by poor weather throughout and was a thriller right to the end, producing the closest finish for the race since 1933: less than 5km (half a lap). The D-Type jaguars were plagued with brake failure with Duncan Hamilton and Tony Rolt finishing 2nd, almost 2 laps down.

My earliest resin kits were from AutoMany of France. These two Jaguars were built by me from kits over 35 years ago and are cruder than more recent models.

The second place car was the Jaguar D-Type #14 of Tony Rolt and Duncan Hamilton.

P1090521
P1090525
P1090528
P1090522

The Jaguar D-Type #15 of Peter Whitehead and Ken Wharton was a DNF.

P1090526
P1090527
P1090519
P1090518

The Argentinian José Froilán González winner earned a special place in Ferrari history: Three years earlier, he had scored Ferrari's first F1 victory. Now, in his last appearance at La Sarthe, he also gave the first victory for the Scuderia Ferrari at Le Mans and the second for a Ferrari car (1949).

Information that I have heard about the unique numbers on many cars in 1954.
1954 was the first year that the 24 Hours of Le Mans was covered by television. This was black and white TV then. The producers requested that yellow be added to the numbers on the right side of cars that appeared dark, to make the numbers more visible to the cameras. The television cameras must have only been on one side of the track that year.

See the Ferrari 375 Plus as made by Top Model with the number showing.

s l1600

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 6
Share: