1960 Studebaker Lark with special exterior finish

17 Posts
9 Users
80 Likes
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Here is a car that would make a a very interesting 1/43 model. For 1960, Studebaker had a very low production (1 ?) Lark convertible that featured a remarkable exterior (and interior) color and finish. The interior was a faux leopard skin texture. And the entire exterior was also covered in a light brown/tan color fur material.

I don't think this would necessarily show up in any production records for 1960 Studebakers, but I personally can confirm at least one did exist. Since Studebaker was one of my Dad's clients in 1960, he had one of these publicity vehicles over at our house, perhaps in late summer, 1959.

Here are some pictures showing my Dad behind the wheel, and also of me and my older sister sitting on the hood. We got a ride in this cool Lark and got plenty of looks as I recall. The car felt really neat, as one might expect and was fun just to sit on or lean against. Hopefully, it didn't smell of wet dog when it rained (!) but I guess you would just use carpet cleaner or maybe shampoo to clean up spots or dirt. LOL !

Fur Lark 2
Fur Lark

Randy Rusk, 100Ford2003, Ed Davis and 17 people reacted
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Very cool Mike. I remember you telling us that your dad worked with Studebaker.

Jack Dodds, Mike DeTorrice, Jack Dodds and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Ben Lampson
(@ben-lampson)
Noble Member

Mike, what did your dad do that involved him with vehicle manufacturing?

Interesting pics and car.

Is that an Olds in the garage?

ReplyQuote
Paul Rouffa
(@paul-rouffa)
Reputable Member

What an amazing experience, Mike.

ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member

Good memories,Mike, and thanks for sharing them.  I have never heard of this special Lark before, even though I remember admiring the Lark convertible. I don't believe a have a Lark 1/43.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Now that is something different!  Something you would expect to see from a Hollywood starlet for a publicity gig.  I had always thought Brooklin would have done a convertible from their coupe......but no such luck.  Too bad.  I THINK maybe John Roberts did one or two...not sure.

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Famed Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @ben-lampson

Mike, what did your dad do that involved him with vehicle manufacturing?

Interesting pics and car.

Is that an Olds in the garage?

Ben, he was with "3 Dimensions" which was a display exhibit company in Chicago. They designed and built displays for various companies that were used in trade shows and exhibitions around the country, like the Chicago, Detroit or New York Automobile Shows and other trade gatherings for the telecommunications, electronics and restaurant, etc industries. Later it became Exhibitgroup Chicago and it has further morphed and merged since he passed away in 1990. His automobile clients included Studebaker, Dodge, Plymouth, Buick and his biggest client from the 1950's until 1990 was GMC Trucks.

That's our 1955 Pontiac in the garage and Dad had also probably just traded in our 1958 Chevrolet for a 1960 Plymouth Valiant.

Here he is in a staged shot showing the winning proposal for the auto show introductions of the 1963 Studebaker Avanti and later at the Chicago Auto Show unveiling. I got to see a pre-pro or early production Avanti when it was briefly at our house, so that was a treat, too.

Avanti display proposal
Studebaker Avanti

100Ford2003, Ed Davis, Karl Schnelle and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member

@jack-dodds   Jack, I just saw two John Roberts-altered Lark convertibles on eBay.  Verrrrrrrrry interesting.  

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @d-m-holcombe

@jack-dodds   Jack, I just saw two John Roberts-altered Lark convertibles on eBay.  Verrrrrrrrry interesting.  

Wow.....crazy prices!

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member

Very interesting did not know about this.  But 1959-60 Larks are one of my favorites.   I am on the lookout for a damaged,  cheap,  or otherwise,  Brooklin Lark to do some more modifications to accompany this four door wagon done recently.  Any leads on the Brooklin Larks?

1960 Studebaker X2 #3

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
JayGolan
(@jaygolan)
Reputable Member

Highway travelers did several 1962 Studebakers, I have the coupe with the canvas sunroof.  They also did convertibles with top up or down and the wagon. highway travelers studebakers - Google Search

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @jaygolan

Highway travelers did several 1962 Studebakers, I have the coupe with the canvas sunroof.  They also did convertibles with top up or down and the wagon. highway travelers studebakers - Google Search

I have the blue convertible and the wagon; they are very nice models.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

I also have the coupe with the canvas sunroof, a convertible pace car and the wagon with the sliding roof.

Jack Dodds, Mike DeTorrice, Jack Dodds and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Those are great, historic photos and story about your Dad, Mike! 🤩 

Mike DeTorrice, 100Ford2003, John Kuvakas and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Famed Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @karl

Those are great, historic photos and story about your Dad, Mike! 🤩 

Thanks, Karl ! I wonder how anyone would actually model this special Lark ? When I was a kid and built some 1/25 plastic car models, I think they had an interior finish kit in which you brushed on a tacky glue and then sprinkled on a fuzzy material to get a soft, textured seat and interior finish.

Lol, I don't whether something like that could work for a 1/43 Lark. (or in any particular scale, for that matter.)

Jack Dodds, John Kuvakas, Karl Schnelle and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: