Japanese tuner RWB's versions of the Porsche 993 by Tarmac Works

5 Posts
5 Users
16 Likes
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I stumbled across these diecasts on the internet, having never heard of Tarmac Works (another PCT brand). Coincidentally, I had just read the Vol. 3 double issue of Road & Track, devoted to customs, which included an article on personalized custom Porsches. The same purple car shown below was pictured in an article on RAUH-Welt BEGRIFF (RWB), which translates as Rough World Concept in German. Bodywork artist Akira Nakai is the driving force behind these wildly modified Porsche 993s, flying to wherever the customer is and shipping the parts there for the custom work. 

Below is the Tarmac Works RWB 993 'Rotana' in it's accurate satin purple paint. The Rotana dates from 2013, and there's a write-up on the car here: http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/06/nakai-goes-turbo-the-rwb-rotana/ . The windshield decal matches the R&T car, but must have changed since the online review was conducted. The license has changed too but still seems to be in Arabic. They did a good job with the absurd and cross-braced rear wing.

Tarmac Works T43 014 RO RWB 993 Rotana pic4
Tarmac Works T43 014 RO RWB 993 Rotana pic5
Tarmac Works T43 014 RO RWB 993 Rotana pic6

The other one I got is in a great candy apple red shade. There are only Japanese characters on it and on the box, but I found out it is phonetically "Hi No Tori", meaning bird of fire, or the Phoenix. The real car seems to have appeared in Prague in 2016, based on what pics I could find online. It has a different wing from the Rotana. 

Tarmac Works T43 014 BF RWB 993 Phoenix pic1
Tarmac Works T43 014 BF RWB 993 Phoenix pic2
Tarmac Works T43 014 BF RWB 993 Phoenix pic3

Tarmac makes a bunch of others, some of which mimic actual former racing Porsches, such as the '71 Pink Pig, the '74 Martini Carrera RSR, and the '80 935 Apple Computer car. Certainly something wild to spruce up the mix of silver, white, and Guards Red in the Porsche display.

Karl Schnelle, Frank Reed, David Green and 5 people reacted
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member

Great post, Harv.  Your explanations really help me appreciate these Tarmac models.  Well done and thanks!

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Harv, a brand that I have never heard about and an interesting story that you shared.I'll have to hunt up that 'Road & Track' copy.

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

Wow! Those finishes look spectacular.

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote