Minimarque 1958 Corvette Headlights

18 Posts
7 Users
20 Likes
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I have seen several 1958 Minimarque Corvettes for sale on Internet sites and at the Countryside/Chicago shows.  With one exception their headlights all have a yellow/amber color.  Does anyone know why, and know a good way to fix it?  I have been thinking about buying one, but those headlights have discouraged me.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

That usually happens because the inserts are resin which can yellow over the years. If anyone knows of a way to fix it, I'd like to hear it. The only method I know of involves the replacement of the resin. But I also know that some cameras can attribute a yellow tint to some plastic parts that may look perfectly fine in person. It might be worth asking the seller if the headlights look yellow. 

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

@jkuvakas No John the resin headlights yellow with time and/or light exposure I have a few Top Marques with this malady and if anyone has a remedy for removing the epoxy resin, please post it here. I wish they had used canopy glue.

Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

I have four MiniMarque 1961 Corvette models and all of them have yellow head light lenses. I have to admit that I never noticed this until just now. I display my models in acrylic cases which means I never see the head lights full on...also, once I place a model in the display case I don't take them out or handle them.

Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
Chazy.R
(@chazy-r)
Honorable Member

@bob-jackman Hi guys, I have drilled out the off color resin lights and either filled with clear resin or a jewelry finding that is slightly cup shaped to fill with resin and inserted the finding into the cavity in the headlights. This takes a very steady hand using a drill bit the exact size of the inside of the headlight bezel. I use my Dewalt at a very slow speed. Take a look at my Packard/Studebaker Hawk pictures. Even the white and gray had the resin issue and I fixed it. Hope this helps

Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
Chazy.R
(@chazy-r)
Honorable Member

1. @bob-jackman Hi guys, I have drilled out the off color resin lights and either filled with clear resin or a jewelry finding that is slightly cup shaped to fill with resin and inserted the finding into the cavity in the headlights. This takes a very steady hand using a drill bit the exact size of the inside of the headlight bezel. I use my Dewalt at a very slow speed. Take a look at my Packard/Studebaker Hawk pictures. Even the white and gray had the resin issue and I fixed it. Hope this helps

Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member

On some of my model projects I use the jewels that are available from Hobby Lobby or others.  They come in different diameters and there are even some red ones if you have round taillamps such as on a truck.  Some of the vintage diecasts like Corgi etc used these jewels for headlamps.  Never seen them change color over time.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

@chazy-r Thanks for your reply Chazy. At 82 years of age, I'm not steady enough to attempt this kind of fix. Since I didn't realize there was a problem before I feel I can live with the models as they are.

ReplyQuote
Chazy.R
(@chazy-r)
Honorable Member

@bob-jackman Hi guys, I also

16084FF7 3FF7 4E03 8F05 64B817462E6F
9DBAA091 519D 458F 95FC 4D94B820F357
0C12B059 9DE4 4CE0 84A2 E3D6ECF7694D

drill out existing headlights to use resin or the resin jewel lights  Here is a work in progress shown with just drool out, one resin jewel added and photos of just the jewel lights only. Thanks

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

@john-quilter Thanks for your reply John. My wife is into miniatures and I was explaining this thread to her. She agrees with you that these small jewels could work and showed me some that she has used on different projects. She told me that she finds them both at Hobby Lobby and Michaels

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@chazy-r 

Thanks for your response.  I was hoping there would be a solution other than drilling out the resin, but I am not surprised by your comments. There are lens available in different sizes intended for model railroad use, which might work as replacements.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
Chris Sweetman
(@chris-sweetman)
Prominent Member

There is also this option

https://www.grandprixmodels.com/TROPHS002B-Lights-20mm-White-x12-Accessories.aspx

or this one

https://www.grandprixmodels.com/RENA095-Turned-Lights-15mm-x5-.aspx

Autominologist residing in the Robin Hood County
Nottinghamshire England UK

ReplyQuote
Chazy.R
(@chazy-r)
Honorable Member

@chris-sweetman Hi Chris,

Your suggestions are good. I use hobby products as shown. The 2cm

C36FA282 4393 4CB9 BEDC FA1CFC0FB376
BFB838B8 DC0D 47F9 AE36 1AD93DC0AACD

rocks are like saucers and take well to the clear resin product. This process to cure takes 15 min in direct sunlight or can be cured under uv light. Looks like a lot of work but I think results are worth it. Anyone interested, I will supply ten for free just pay for shipping.

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@chazy-r 

Do you know of any products that would soften the resin headlights, which would not damage the paint?

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Chazy.R
(@chazy-r)
Honorable Member

@ed-davis Hey Ed, first step is to mask of the rest of the car from the headlights to prevent accidental damage. Some very old resins need to be drilled out. Others may be pried out with an exacto knife blade or the end of a sharp pushpin. I am not aware of any solvent that can  dissolve the resin. That is something I have not researched, yet!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: