1/64 1769 Cugnot's Fardier.

11 Posts
4 Users
16 Likes
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I thought this hand-made French brass & pewter 1769 Cugnot in 1/64 scale (or pretty damn close to it) was too cool to pass up. 😎 

Cugnot 1 64 2
Cugnot 1 64 1
Cugnot 1 64 3

David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

I agree Christopher, gorgeous. That Cord 810/12 is no slouch either. Thanks  for showing these.

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Noble Member

Very interesting model. Is the Cugnot a recent addition to your collection? It looks very nice, especially considering the scale. Thanks for pictures.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

@david-green I quickly grabbed the nearest 1/64 cars I could easily access for scale comparisons (kind of an odd grouping... 🙄)  Not too many 1/64 scale models representing the 18th century. LoL 😀

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

@ed-davis Yes, this particular model of Cugnot's Fardier is new to me. It's an original brass & pewter Richard Feil creation (c.1980).  I'd love to "paint up"  all that detail...but it's wiser to leave it as is.

ReplyQuote
Stanton Lyman
(@stanton-lyman)
Trusted Member

@chris  As you may be aware the "Cugnot" 'Farder' wagon is the logo which we use for the Society of Automotive Historians. I am a former Board member and clearly from my response a big time model collector.  I have found a smaller model of the 'Farder' but with far less detail.

Could you tell me the source of the model? I would love to obtain one and paint it as you suggested. Many thanks.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

@stanton-lyman I'm aware of three "small-scale"  replicas of Cugnot's 1769 (70) Fardier:

-Mine, in 1/64 scale.

-Brumm's in 1/43 scale (see pic).

-A 1963 French model kit in 1/32 scale (which I do NOT own).

I'd love to replicate this in 1/18 scale, or perhaps larger, one day.

I'm UNAWARE of any models smaller than 1/64 scale; I'd LOVE to see pics of your "smaller model."  My 1/64 is a hand-made, pewter & brass replica created by French artesian, Richard H. Feil around 1980 (see pic). His pewter & brass creations range in scale form 1/64 up to 1/16.

As far as I know, he created only ONE 1/64 replica of Cugnot's Fardier. If others exist, I've never seen them.

Cugnot 1769 3
Cugnot 1769 6
Richard Feil c.1980

ReplyQuote
Stanton Lyman
(@stanton-lyman)
Trusted Member

@chris

ReplyQuote
Stanton Lyman
(@stanton-lyman)
Trusted Member

@chris

ReplyQuote
Stanton Lyman
(@stanton-lyman)
Trusted Member

@chris   Many thanks for your input. Indeed my model is the "Brumm" 1:43. The SAH has bought a few of these models and mounted them on a plinth as tokens to some of our officers.  Are you aware that a gentleman in Florida named Alain Cerf has an automobile museum (I forget where)  where he has actually recreated a full sized reproduction of the Fardier. It actually runs, and as you would epect, it is a monster.  I am sure there is a website somewhere.

Cheers,

Stanton

Ed Davis and David Green reacted
ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

@stanton-lyman Yes, I believe it's this one pictured here at Greenfield Village (in Dearborn MI c.2011).  I hope to see in person one day. 😀 

Ed Davis and David Green reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: