Another Forum suggestion

23 Posts
5 Users
33 Likes
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

You may recall that a while back I made the truly inspired suggestion that one of the near-dormant forums could be converted into a “Food Forum”. Unfortunately not everyone treated this with the seriousness it deserved, and the resulting series of posts created a totally new paradigm for human social discourse (although I strongly suspect there was some extraterrestrial input here and there).

Anyway, I’m not trying to pull the same stunt again, but I vaguely recall (correct me if I’m just imagining it) that there was a suggestion in the past about the possibility of a “Modelling” forum where people could maybe exchange personal news and views about projects ranging from simple improvements to stock models (like adding missing details, adding better wheels and tyres, etc.) to repainting an old Brooklin and adding some foil detailing, through to more ambitious conversions or “chops” or even scratchbuilt or semi-scratchbuilt efforts. They could show recently completed projects or work in progress, describe and illustrate how they went about them, or exchange hints and tips about problems encountered, suitable materials, any techniques they may have devised for themselves, etc.

I realise that there may not be enough Forum members doing this kind of thing to make a sustainable forum. And of course collectors who have no interest in modifications of any kind, and only want news and pictures relating to commercially-available models, would never go near it. I also realise that people sometimes submit posts of this kind on the existing scale forums, and maybe that is all we need. But I just thought that having a dedicated forum of this kind, with all scales included in one place, might have some potential, so here I am – excuse the terrible old cliché – running it up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes it (or gives it the thumbs-down). Obviously the last thing we need is to create another forum that just dies a death.

In any case, I don’t know if converting a “stagnant” forum (“Supercar and Hypercar” would be an obvious candidate) could actually be done without a lot of complication. If not, then we can forget the idea. It was just a thought that came to me – and a reasonably sensible one, which makes a nice change. doesn’t it?

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Could I feature Miss Alabama?...she says she's a model.

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Only if you have modified or improved her in some significant way. (Or maybe I should say "revamped").

But look, I have offered a serious suggestion, couched in what I believe is a sober and coherent manner.  Intelligent, even. To quote your own good self, a little respect is in order here.

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

This can be accomplished *seriously*. Can we generate some dialogue as to what to call it and overall focus?

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, that's nice to hear. I've suggested the general idea, and look forward to comments and suggestions from anyone interested that might turn it into an acceptable format for a Forum.

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

Jack Dodds reacted
ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @jkuvakas

This can be accomplished *seriously*. Can we generate some dialogue as to what to call it and overall focus?

Just.... 'Everything Else'.

ReplyQuote
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I woke up at 3 o'clock this morning with the sudden thought that I should have repeated my post in the various forums, but I see JK has already put a message on several forums. I was also going to suggest that anyone with thoughts on the subject should post them as replies to my original Lounge post, so all comments and suggestions would be conveniently in one place, but it's too late for that. JK will just have to check responses here, there and everywhere, if and when he feels so inclined.

I have already replied to some of the comments on other forums. I'm not on any kind of personal mission here, and if nothing comes of my proposal that's OK by me, but having raised the topic I thought I might as well keep an eye on responses.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Graeme Ogg

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

@graeme-ogg, thanks. If we both compile the responses, then we can compare notes and make a decision. I have limited access to the coding and can make the appropriate changes on this end when we're ready,

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

100Ford2003 reacted
ReplyQuote
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

OK. Not a great deal of response so far but there does seem to be some general interest in a "modelling and how-to" forum, which could of course include dioramas and other related DIY topics. Maybe you want to let it run for a bit and see if any other points emerge which might help finalise the proposed content (and title). Some people might still argue that they'd prefer to see posts relating to model conversions or improvements in a particular scale continuing to appear in the relevant scale forum. We shall see if a consensus emerges.

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @graeme-ogg

Only if you have modified or improved her in some significant way. (Or maybe I should say "revamped").

But look, I have offered a serious suggestion, couched in what I believe is a sober and coherent manner.  Intelligent, even. To quote your own good self, a little respect is in order here.

Sorry Graeme....it was "a post too far." 

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

You are forgiven. Your abject humility and self-debasement do you credit. Now if you'd just like to propose a forum dedicated to nubile starlets, glamour models and Hollywood nymphettes, JK and I will give serious thought to converting the "Corvette models" forum to meet your requirements. But don't get too excited just yet.

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

@graeme-ogg My wife has stumbled upon my Alabama fixation thread and has slapped me silly (sillier?) so over and out on this theme. Bruise

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

@jack-dodds, one may debate the possibility of slapping you silly, my friend.

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

Jack Dodds reacted
ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

@jkuvakas Once again JK; thanks for your support....... Formal Smile

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

Not a problem. Men of our caliber should stick together because...well...what is our caliber

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: