40 Posts
10 Users
131 Likes
Chav
 Chav
(@chav)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Started to build this Delahaye more than 2 years ago, and as most of my projects it soon went to the projects cabinet when another bright project idea became more exciting. The parts' misfit was another annoying bump on the road. This is a popular kit, but the builds I've seen online rarely have decent shut lines and panel-match particularly the bonnet. So, my goal was to make it simpler and build a closed body model with no opening features, but good silhouette and shut lines. However that presented unforeseen challenges with matching the body and the chassis. Well, I am making a progress as you can see below. I am using wheels from FM Bugatti Atlante, and I was able to fit the front suspension, now working on the rear suspension and that will bring the body to chassis matching to 90% done. Will post more pictures as the project is advancing. 

9E7DB113 C985 4B45 9954 0281D6AEC145

David Green, Marty Johnson, John Kuvakas and 5 people reacted
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

It looks really good and you are clearly doing an excellent job on this beauty ! You get great credit on doing it YOUR way and persevering in the build. It will be a fine addition. 

Pete Rovero, Marty Johnson, John Kuvakas and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Charles Rockett
(@charles-rockett)
Famed Member

Do keep us updated on progress - your Delahaye / Talbot-Lago posts are always appreciated.  I'm guessing this is 1938 135 by Chapron?

Marty Johnson, John Kuvakas, Ed Davis and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @chav

build a closed body model with no opening features

OH NO! 😳 😳 😳 

ReplyQuote
Chav
 Chav
(@chav)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

@chris For me is either all or nothing. Either all panels should open (tons of work and never finished projects) or nothing opens and focus on finish and appearance (maybe it will get finished). Plastic is easy to work with but openings in plastic are flimsy, I don’t want to be repairing the panels every time I try to open one of them. The front wheels will be posable though.

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Famed Member

Looking forward to finished model.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

This is VERY interesting!  

ReplyQuote
Chav
 Chav
(@chav)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Appreciate your interest guys. As you can imagine the build is advancing very slowly. Here are few more pictures.

All body panels assembled, leveled, sanded ... looks awful.

60646B53 D2ED 460B B1C4 7982B09FAB81
0D5C5650 DDC3 4AE0 8B19 43AB44812F09
20C2E8CF FC2F 477D 8DCC 91669F149DBB

First layer of primer (Tamiya primer).

6C9424F9 C0B9 4D72 92C6 6C8F5DB108F7

Second layer of primer and back on the bench.

838C42D4 EA44 4D12 8FB8 3FA8051A2121
491EF672 CA15 47A3 8ECE D2BE0AEC448F
F87B530C 5B40 4234 8B9F A29722C64F9B

ReplyQuote
Geoff Jowett
(@geoff-jowett)
Illustrious Member

looks great Chav. thanks for posting. Really looking forward to the finished product. Is this the kit. I've had a watch on one for ages. Postage is always too expensive

DH

ReplyQuote
Chav
 Chav
(@chav)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

@geoff-jowett Yes, this is the kit, one of its many releases. I have 2 kits with different boxes but they are all the same. There are multiple online build tutorials on this kit, including websites and YouTube videos. I've seen pictures of only one potentially closed build like mine, but no way to know for sure. There was at least one build with all panels opening that was very advanced.

ReplyQuote
Geoff Jowett
(@geoff-jowett)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @chav

@geoff-jowett Yes, this is the kit, one of its many releases. I have 2 kits with different boxes but they are all the same. There are multiple online build tutorials on this kit, including websites and YouTube videos. I've seen pictures of only one potentially closed build like mine, but no way to know for sure. There was at least one build with all panels opening that was very advanced.

thanks Chav. I'll have a search around for the videos.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member

Here's some ancient pics of an ancient build (maybe 40 yrs). I can't find any interior shots which I actually spent more time with upholstery and the wood trim. It was supposed to be tutone blue using automotive rattle cans, but somehow the lighter blue turned out to be GREEN! Not the best of color combos. The ignition wiring should be contained, but this was all pre-internet so I really didn't have any pics to go by. Somewhere along the line I lost the left fog lamp lens.

Deco 002
Deco 004 001
Deco 005 001
Deco 008
Deco 009 001
Deco 011
Deco 007

Karl Schnelle, Chav, John Kuvakas and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @rich-sufficool

but this was all pre-internet so I really didn't have any pics to go by.

Brother, you said a mouth full!  I used to OBSESS over finding accurate, color, authentic reference photos!  For hours/days I'd search feverishly for just the right angle shot, or interior photo, chassis detail, paint scheme, etc., etc...... 

Obviously, it takes seconds now to accomplish what used to take hours/days! 😀 😀 😀 

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member

@chris Those military dioramas that I've shown amounted to a full year of research of archival photos in books (I amassed quite a library). I finished them ultimately taking my 'best guess' on some of the internals. Right after I completed them, the Soviet Union collapsed and suddenly there vast riches of research available from photos to film footage.. Fortunately, all those little details I guessed on turned out to be correct. It took a load off my mind because if I had guessed wrong, it would have driven me crazy... forever!!! LOL

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @rich-sufficool

It took a load off my mind because if I had guessed wrong, it would have driven me crazy... forever!!! LOL

I can relate 1000%     That old saying, "Don't sweat the small stuff,"  is BS to me. I ALWAYS SWEAT THE SAMLL STUFF! 😬 😬 😬 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: