I've always thought...

Notifications
Clear all

I've always thought this is one of the best large scale models I've ever seen.

Marty Johnson
(@marlowe-or-marty)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The mighty 1969 Honda CB750!  It is by Minichamps and in 1:6 scale.  

DSC03627
DSC03626
DSC03631
DSC03633
DSC03637
DSC03635
DSC03638
DSC03640
DSC03641
DSC03646
DSC03647
DSC03650
DSC03651
DSC03652
DSC03655
This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by Marty Johnson

John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Moderator

Great model! Isn't this the one that started the whole "superbike" craze, a bigger engine in a mid-size frame?

John Kuvakas

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marlowe-or-marty)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@jkuvakas - I would say it was the motorcycle that launched the multi-cylinder revolution.  Prior to this bike, most that were sold were twin cylinders.  It was the first 4 cylinder engine available in a motorcycle since the Vincent Shadow from 1948.  Kawasaki, Yahama, Suzuki, Triumph, and BSA all followed with their own versions of multi-cylinder motorcycles.  

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Prominent Member

Now that Marty, is one you just want to climb on and ride. Great stuff.

My son's version was black.

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marlowe-or-marty)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@david-green - Yes, I would love to ride that Honda!  However, the motorcycle that I've coveted more since it first was introduced was the Honda CBX 6 cylinder.  I've seriously considered buying one, but I rode motorcycles for 10 years without an incident.  I figured that I pressed my luck because all of us that ride or have ridden motorcycles know there are two kinds of riders. Those that go down and those that are going to go down.  I've never gone down, so I figure I'm overdue.  Still, that doesn't stop me from WANTING to ride, but age and wisdom say it probably isn't a good idea.  

The other motorcycle I'd love to ride again is my old Kawasaki 500 two-stroke triple.  Now, compared to today's hyper-powered motorcycles, it is slow by current standards.  However, back in the day, I loved that motorcycle because it was the baddest bike available in 1970.  The Honda CB750, with its 4 cylinders, 4 exhaust pipes, and a disc brake, a street bike first was more impressive.  It just had a presence of being big and made a statement of, "I've arrived." However, even the mighty Honda CB750 was not a match for the Kawasaki 500 Mach III.  It didn't have the presence of the big Honda, but it was quicker.  The Mach III was called "The widowmaker."  

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Moderator

I've had several bikes. The biggest problem with some of the older bikes was handling. They were good for their time but the engineering on the frames and geometry of the drivetrains kept improving. I liken some of the more powerful vintage bikes to something like the early versions of the Porsche Turbo, an amazing car but one that could bite you in the tail unexpectedly. You had to have a close relationship with a Turbo if you were going to drive it well.

I had, for a brief time, one of the original Suzuki Katanas. It was an incredible bike with a ton of power, a low center of gravity, and amazing balance. You could toss it around at will. I loved it right up until someone offered me almost twice what I paid! The newer versions kept right on improving.

All that being said, it's still thrilling to ride some of the older bikes. I climbed on one of Kawasaki's first-generation Z-900's. What a beast! What a visceral experience. I felt the same way after I got off my first ride on a Triumph Trident. 

They all seem to have their own brand of beauty. 

Still, Marty is right. There are only two kinds of riders, those who have gone down and those who are going to go down. At our age, some wisdom and discernment are appropriate! 

John Kuvakas

ReplyQuote
Joop
 Joop
(@joop)
Estimable Member

When I sold my Honda CB-400 way back in 1981 I wanted a Suzuki GS-750 2-stroke.

But then I heard I had to enlist for the army, so I stopped looking for one.

Man, was I angry !!!

In hindsight I am very happy I didn't buy one, because they were blindingly fast, eating sprockets and chains by the dozens and it would have most certainly killed me....

In 1982 I bought a new 1981 Low-Rider, which I still have.

I am pretty sure there are very few left like mine, because a couple of years ago I

made it back to 99.9 % stock.

see the picture of me, many years ago, with my then slightly customized Low-Rider.

Joop's Low Rider

ReplyQuote
Share: