Another cool looking Jag... [PIC]

7 Posts
4 Users
16 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Another uniquely Jaguar in design, the, basically one year only 1988 XJR-9 was designed by Tony Southgate and built by TWR ( Tom Walkinshaw Racing ). It debuted at the 24 Hours of Le Mans giving Jaguar their first win since 1957 and put an end to Porsche's 7 year dominance there. It was powered by a 7.0 liter Jaguar V12 producing 750 hp. It soon after became outdated on that circuit being consistently beaten by Nissan. This is the model of the Castrol XJR9-M that won the 1988 24 Hours of Daytona.

JagXJR9 001
JagXJR9 024
JagXJR9 002
JagXJR9 023

JagXJR9 033
JagXJR9 030
JagXJR9 008
JagXJR9 009
JagXJR9 014
JagXJR9 019
JagXJR9 005
JagXJR9 006
JagXJR9 007
JagXJR9 037
JagXJR9 029
JagXJR9 034
JagXJR9 056

Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

Beautiful model & I love the Castrol livery.

I missed out on both of those Jags, unfortunately.  😥 

ReplyQuote
franklemire
(@franklemire)
Prominent Member

Great model - I got the #66 Daytona winner and the #2 LeMans winner with the 'Silk Cut' livery

IMG 2619 (2)
IMG 5355
IMG 5357
IMG 5360
IMG 5358

ReplyQuote
franklemire
(@franklemire)
Prominent Member

Great model - I got the #66 Daytona winner and the #2 LeMans winner with the 'Silk Cut' livery

IMG 2619 (2)
IMG 5355
IMG 5357
IMG 5360
IMG 5358

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

Hi Rich,

I love that Jaguar XJR-9 that competed in the 1988 GTP GT Championship in the USA. I followed the championship closely that year attending Daytona, Sebring and Watkins Glen and watching most of the rest on TV. I have the Exoto model that you so finely photographed here.

I do question what you say about the XJR-9 being outdated and beaten by the Nissan. The 1988 GTP Drivers Championship was won by Australian Geoff Brabham, driving a Nissan GTP ZX-T. Indeed he won 9 of the 14 races that season. Jaguar won two races, one being the Sunbank 24 Hours of Daytona. Daytona was trial run to get ready for Le Mans. The drivers for the #60 Jaguar XJR-9 winner were Martin Brundle, Raul Boesel and John Neilsen. Jaguar also won the final GTP Camel Grand Prix of California 2 hour race at Delmar with the #61 car with Brundle and Jan Lammers driving. They did not take part in the full program and in the longer races the challenge was from the Dyson Porsche 962s.

Nissan GTP ZX-T was a sprint car designed for shorter races up to one hour that made up most of the GTP series and did not even participate in the 24 hour Daytona race or the 12 hour Sebring. Also Nissan was never successful at Le Mans. Mazda won Le Mans in 1991 and Toyota the last several years, but never Nissan.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@david-green Well, then chalk it up to Wiki misinformation. That's what I read having no personal knowledge.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

@rich-sufficool 

Hi Rich,

Just looked at Wikipedia and I can see where you got that impression. I also checked 1989 and found that an improved Nissan GTP XT turbo did last 12 hours winning that race over the second place #61 Jaguar XJR-9. Nissan definitely dominated North American GTP racing. It was the reference to Le Mans domination that resulted in my response above.

I really like your stuff and look forward to seeing it. I'm into discussion and would not want you to feel that my response was critical of you in any way, just the information.

ReplyQuote
Share: