Cigarette Liveries and models....

7 Posts
4 Users
14 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I rail at the banning of certain images on livery that destroy the historical accuracy of a model.... the Europeans are great on that point. I used to do a lot of WWll modeling and if you bought German aircraft kits that were for European distribution, the decal sheet could contain the Balkankreuz (the straight armed cross on the fuselage), but not the Hakenhreuz (swastika) for the vertical stabilizer. Does having a historically accurate model mean you support Nazi ideology? Then came the banning of cigarette logos on sponsored race cars. Minichamps, AUTOart, Bburago and their ilk folded like a cheap suit. Exoto, to their credit, did not. I absolutely adore the model of the 1983 Team Rothmans Porsche 956L Le Mans winner. Where it should say "Rothmans", it's replaced with "Racing". Bburago did the same with their 959. Anyway, this is a really beautiful model by Minichamps despite the glaring inaccuracy.

Porsche956L 025
Porsche956L 024
Porsche956L 005
Porsche956L 011
Porsche956L 010
Porsche956L 018
Porsche956L 016
Porsche956L 022
Porsche956L 021
Porsche956L 023
Porsche956L 026
Porsche956L 008
Porsche956L 032

Here's the 959:

Bburago 124 033
Bburago 124 027
Bburago 124 032

Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

the 959 looks really good in racing livery.

I do agree with you, @rich-sufficool, especially as our models are not marketed towards kids & even say on the box "Adult collectible."  The Rothmans 956 is interesting though, as there are pics of the real car with "racing" livery.  I have this models too, and underneath the "racing" is the actual Rothmans livery, though the decal on the nose would need to be changed.

I really like these Minichamps 956s.  Just awesome looking racers.

(Shell #17 is a 962)

David Green, Rich Sufficool, David Green and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@gavin I like the Kenwood 956.... pretty blue.

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

Thanks, @rich-sufficool.  I love that one too.  I normally don't buy duplicates (even with different livery), but couldn't pass that one up.  Driven by both Mario & Michael Andretti.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Gavin

100Ford2003, Rich Sufficool, David Green and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Famed Member

Posted by: @rich-sufficool

I rail at the banning of certain images on livery that destroy the historical accuracy of a model.... the Europeans are great on that point. I used to do a lot of WWll modeling and if you bought German aircraft kits that were for European distribution, the decal sheet could contain the Balkankreuz (the straight armed cross on the fuselage), but not the Hakenhreuz (swastika) for the vertical stabilizer. Does having a historically accurate model mean you support Nazi ideology? Then came the banning of cigarette logos on sponsored race cars. Minichamps, AUTOart, Bburago and their ilk folded like a cheap suit. Exoto, to their credit, did not. I absolutely adore the model of the 1983 Team Rothmans Porsche 956L Le Mans winner. Where it should say "Rothmans", it's replaced with "Racing". Bburago did the same with their 959. Anyway, this is a really beautiful model by Minichamps despite the glaring inaccuracy.

I agree with you 100 % on these points, Rich ! It is an idiotic pointless PC demonstration that denies and avoids historical accuracy. When I was a kid, I built the battleships "Bismarck" and "Tirpitz", as well as the armored ship "Graf Spee" and cruiser "Prinz Eugen" ...... all of which had the accurate nazi swastika flag as part of the kit. Likewise, my "Stukas" and FW-190s had the appropriate decals. And my Zeros and "Yamato" and "Haruna" battleships featured the Rising Sun and hinomaru symbols ..... because that's how they looked back then.

The same applies to cigarette logos and alcohol sponsorship logos (or "General Lee" livery) on cars. I am fully capable of deciding whether to place a logo on a car ..... or not. Next, if a driver is accused of having an affair while married, his name and perhaps the car he drove, itself will be deemed "unacceptable" for being modeled of allowed to be offered for sale !

Having said that, in every other way these are all superb models of  racing machines !

ReplyQuote
Jack Daniels
(@jack-daniels)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @rich-sufficool

Porsche956L 025
Porsche956L 024
Porsche956L 005
Porsche956L 011
Porsche956L 010
Porsche956L 018
Porsche956L 016
Porsche956L 022
Porsche956L 021
Porsche956L 023
Porsche956L 026
Porsche956L 008
Porsche956L 032

Here's the 959:

Bburago 124 033
Bburago 124 027
Bburago 124 032

Hi Guys

I agree that it is too bad that some of the logos were not put on the race cars. But I have a slightly different view. Over the years made a few dollars printing the missing decals for the cars. Did lots of Marl—s and other stuff missing from 1/18 F1 cars. I live just across the freeway from MS, so it was very easy to get stuff printed when it was too complicated for a garage job. Also just had a friend put a Rothmans car on ebay for me, got to get rid of stuff, I think this has some decals we printed on it. Still have tons of decals and my ebay friend (elruddick) still sell a few occasionally. Keeps me and the grandsons in pocket change. See pic for some good old (very old) decals and more boxes of decals in the old dark room.

JD

Old Decals5
Old Decals6
Old Decals3
Old Decals4

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Famed Member

Posted by: @jack-daniels

Hi Guys

I agree that it is too bad that some of the logos were not put on the race cars. But I have a slightly different view. Over the years made a few dollars printing the missing decals for the cars. Did lots of Marl—s and other stuff missing from 1/18 F1 cars. I live just across the freeway from MS, so it was very easy to get stuff printed when it was too complicated for a garage job. Also just had a friend put a Rothmans car on ebay for me, got to get rid of stuff, I think this has some decals we printed on it. Still have tons of decals and my ebay friend (elruddick) still sell a few occasionally. Keeps me and the grandsons in pocket change. See pic for some good old (very old) decals and more boxes of decals in the old dark room.

JD

Jack, making the most of a marketing and production opportunity presented is great and that's not a problem at all. Imagine this, however, what if these bans then extend to even making reproduction decals or logos or forbidding models with them in place (or even pictures of them) from being displayed publicly ? We may not be too far from such an eventuality. And what if a forum like this one were either compelled (or were simply under advertiser or outside pressures) to stop images or discussions about such replicas and their logos ? That's a worry for perhaps a future reality. 

ReplyQuote
Share: