Comparison of the ACME Ramp Trucks: Dodge, Ford and Chevrolet

8 Posts
5 Users
20 Likes
john3976
(@john3976)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Now that I have all three of the different brands of the ACME ramp trucks I thought I would do a comparison of them, to start off the ramp beds are the same on all three vehicle makes, the size of them and the look are identical. The difference in these trucks is the cab with them being a Dodge, Ford and a Chevrolet. The size of the cabs are different on each. The Chevrolet has the smallest cab, it is also not as tall as the Ford or Dodge. The Ford is taller than the Chevrolet but not as tall as the Dodge, the Ford is the longest with the Dodge and Chevrolet being just a little bit shorter than the Ford. The Dodge is the only one that has running boards on it. All three have ramps that slide out of the rear of the ramp body. The interiors are your typical truck from the time period and look to be well done. The doors and hood do not open and the compartments on the ramp bed do not open either. The cabs are diecast while the ramp bodies are made of plastic. The front tires do turn so you can pose them if you want. If you look you will see the 1967 Chevrolet does not have a side marker light/reflector while the 1970 Ford and Dodge do have a side marker light/reflector, that is a difference in DOT regulation for the years. I believe the side marker light/reflector became mandatory in 1968. If you look you can see the side rearview mirrors on the Ford are the smallest and all three have different mounting points for the door mirrors. The Chevrolet and Dodge mirrors are larger. These make a nice addition to any collection. 

Don't forget to take the poll at the very top of this thread. 

71D93176 FDD9 47DD 9A95 C003DE0A1498

Here you can see the difference in height with the Chevrolet being shortest, the Ford a little taller and the Dodge being the tallest. 

8F3814B1 D988 49FD AA62 8796DC5B0029

The ramp bodies are the same on all three. 

5A00D114 8FB8 4DF0 8899 CA09C6C926C8

Here is an over hear from the front, you can see the Ford is just a little bit longer than the Chevrolet and Dodge.

FD0FE3B2 20B3 4199 B351 024EFB7DDFAF

This is an overhead from the rear. 

C304F296 5123 4060 8652 358CD18AFC7C

Here is a side shot trying to show the difference in height. 

E15C233E 3B9C 41BF A788 DBD4764637BB

Another side shot from the other end to show the difference in height. 

F6EFBA29 0F94 4958 A5ED C382903C8085

Here is a head on shot with the Chevrolet in the middle, two Fords on the right side of the photo and a Ford and Dodge on the left side of the photo. 

3B47EF8F 035A 4161 9A14 4C056A700764

BEE100F3 6EE8 4858 9F3F 5C700205E336

CCC4C332 9C03 4995 BEB7 C57842186F4F

Interior shot of each, Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge in that order from the top. My phone camera does not do well with interior shots. 

115749A0 AF26 49DB B3CD 4E803C83E8CC

94B79279 C081 4C38 8B78 DCDD0EB7F91F

Front tires turned to the right and left. 

8C4A88DE D42D 4B38 9239 FC2CAAEE1838

170C705F A8C5 4294 9BDE 5180560DF88A

Ramps extended from the side and the rear. 

john3976
(@john3976)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

ACME even did the under carriage different on each, the Ford has the twin I-beam suspension on the front, the Chevrolet has the a-arm suspension on the front and the Dodge has a solid straight axle with leaf springs on the front. 

2D1B886C 14B8 438A AB33 12EE58447C14

Ford twin I-beam

3B7FDB2C 742C 47E2 9D26 4B5F817D6C8D

Chevrolet a-arm

B1B352A5 4770 4959 B066 B283FF6E0C05

Dodge solid straight axle with leaf springs

Alin Demian, Marty Johnson, Alin Demian and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

@john3976 - Thanks for the fine review and comparison.  I have the Sox & Martin ramp truck on order. 

ACME did a fine job on these trucks. Obviously, in an effort to make this endeavor profitable and keep the prices at a reasonable level, they've resisted the temptation to add more working features like opening doors and hood. 

My lack of space will limit any more purchases beyond the S&M version.  However, I think it will display quite nicely with one of my S&M models.  

ReplyQuote
Paul Rouffa
(@paul-rouffa)
Prominent Member

Terrific comparison. I envy you your space to house all of those!

ReplyQuote
Alin Demian
(@m3d1an)
Eminent Member

Good to have a comparison, thanks for that. Pity they are all sealed models. 

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

@m3d1an - Yes, I agree with you.  It's a shame they're sealed.  It's a business reality that ACME was forced to grapple with.  It must have been a significant internal debate and struggle to weigh cost versus features. 

Another point that cannot be denied is that since these items are made in China, there is a 25% tariff tax included in the price.  There is also the constant struggle dealing with difficult Chinese factories.  I can tell you from personal business experience, holding their feet to the fire is unbelievably challenging.  Reneging on agreements is common and unlike the USA, there is no civil redress available in China.  The large American companies have financial largess and size on their side for leverage.  However, smaller companies assume virtually all of the risks and the Chinese factories that demand 30% - 50% payment in advance have zero.  The end result is ACME has taken an enormous financial risk bringing these models to the market at pretty reasonable prices.  In order to do that, compromises had to be made.  

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Marty, Thanks for your input and first hand knowledge dealing with China. Dealing with a nation that does not have the same ethical standards will always have risks.

John, Thanks for your detailed side by side comparisons. Very helpful for me as I do not have the space to display all three so I have to pick one...so now which one will it be?

ReplyQuote
john3976
(@john3976)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

@bob-jackman, My take is this, if you want something that screams truck then the Dodge is the one you want, it is the largest cab of the three and just says I am here to work. The second choice would be the Ford, it is a nice looking truck is just a little smaller cab that the Dodge. Third choice would be the Chevrolet, it is the smallest cab of the three. 

If you are brand specific for what you are trying to do with it then that will be the determining factor. For me the "Grumpy's Toy" Bill Jenkins had to have the Chevrolet C30, the Smokey Yunick on the other hand I have both Camaro and Mustang that he owned so for the Camaro I had to have the Chevrolet C30 on oder but the Mustang had to have the Ford F350. My Mopar truck I looked and found the Miss Mighty Mopar cars that match it perfect. For my Sox & Martin I have the Sox & Martin ramp truck on order, that left me with just one lonely drag race car without a ride to the track so that is where the FoMoCo Ford F350 ramp truck came in. 

If you are not brand specific and just want a ramp truck to display a diecast on then one of the plain non themed trucks will work. That will also allow you to theme a truck any way you want it like I did with the white Chevrolet C30 in the Bill Jenkins "Grumpy's Toy" and the black Ford F350 in the Smokey's Best Damn Garage In Town themes. 

The "Mopar" theme, "FoMoCo" parts theme and the new "Heat Beat of America" theme will all work with any of your Mopar, Ford and GM brand diecast's that are not race themed. 

I hope this helps a little. 

ReplyQuote
Share: