I'VE GOT MAIL! #103 Saturday April 3, 2021

5 Posts
3 Users
14 Likes
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I admit (now regretfully) that when I received this Flyer, I wasn't in to 1:18 scale diecast models, but the subject car on this Flyer certainly made me think twice back in the day of going the 1:18 route.  It was a tempting model first and foremost because it was my favorite Fifties Chevy, the 1958.  

The totally new styling and design of the '58 was an immediate draw when they were new and still are today.  The Hardtop roof-line and unique rear-end treatment of this all new for '58 Impala might be Chevy's best looking car ever!  I'm guessing that with the advertised low production (only 1,002) of this model, they are likely rare today and quite expensive if one were to be found.  

1958 CHEVROLET BEL AIR IMPALA HARDTOP

img724

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

Mike DeTorrice, John Kuvakas, Frank Reed and 3 people reacted
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

I have the Ertl American Muscle '58 Impala in their "Happy Days" series, of which this must be the same tooling. An excellent model, although back in the day it was one payment of $ 29.95. Costs have changed over the years !

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@mikedetorrice, my thought when I saw the price for this 1:18 scale was that it seemed high.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @georgeschire

@mikedetorrice, my thought when I saw the price for this 1:18 scale was that it seemed high.  

Back many years ago Ertl might have made 10,000+ '58 Impala's in various color schemes compared to a limited run of 1,000 now days for a more compact group pf collectors, so the result can be much higher prices unfortunately. But there still can be used ones or even perhaps NOS ones available out on the net somewhere at much lower prices, so it can be worth looking around.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

I have this model in allover white to replicate my former 1/1. I believe the white one came with a red interior which I changed to turquoise. I also have this bronze color in 1/24 from the Danbury Mint. I believe the DM model cost less back in the day than this Ertl does today.

ReplyQuote
Share: