Tape on models

Notifications
Clear all

Tape on models

Larry kemling
(@larry-kemling)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

notice that on many new models they’ve placed a clear tape on them to hold hoods,doors trunks closed,this is fine on newly minted models but a problem arise’s when after they are purchased and the collectors who prefer leaving the models in the box’s also leave the tape attached....which after several years tend to affect the paint.....usually leaving a shadow of where the tape was pressed against the painted surface ,hood,trunk etc.

has anyone come across a easy fix for the irritating marks left by the tape?

thanks in advance...

Larry.

Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Honorable Member

Larry, I think a sticky residue can be removed by using something like "Goo-Gone", which uses citric oil in a petroleum distillate base. It quickly dissolves the tape adhesive and you can test it on an inconspicuous area of paint. It may not be good to use on plastic or certainly on any area that is tampo-printed. (But tape sure shouldn't have been applied to a tampo at the factory, I would think !)

As for an area that is discolored after the tape is off, I can only think that perhaps a good polish, applied to the area with a soft cloth and rubbed in, may help. I use a "Turtle Wax" car product, but there are many others available.

A polishing compound is more aggressive because of the tiny abrasives in it, but careful use of that may work. Even paper towel has a slight polishing/abrasive effect, so possibly use of that with some car wax/polish may do the trick. Many toothpastes actually have the qualities of a polishing compound and a tiny amount of that very, very carefully used might have an effect.

The trick is to remove the residue and even out the discoloration without doing more damage. In some cases one may have to do an entire section to get things even, but this has to be not obviously different on looking at the overall car.

ReplyQuote
Larry kemling
(@larry-kemling)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

@mikedetorrice

Thanks Mike definitely food for thought!

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Noble Member Registered

Mike I agree with all of your recommendations. The clear tape can sometimes leave a residue on a new model. Goo Gone is a terrific product and gentle on painted surfaces.

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Admin

Larry. let us know how things work out. 

John Kuvakas

ReplyQuote
Larry kemling
(@larry-kemling)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

John 

as it turned out I passed on the model which was an Anson 1931 Peerless not because of the tape on it but because I got a offer on a precision 100 37’ Lincoln’zephyr I couldn’t refuse!☺️

This post was modified 2 days ago by Larry kemling

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Admin

A man ahs to ahve priorities!

John Kuvakas

ReplyQuote
Share: