the Marmon "Yellow Jacket"?... [PIC]

7 Posts
6 Users
20 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, that was the first name of this race car that became better known as the Marmon "Wasp". This was the result of a collaboration between Ray Harroun and Howard Marmon and, historically, it won the first Indy 500 in 1911. This car had many innovations that made it a winner. It was the first single seater racer that disposed of the mechanic that would keep the engine oiled, thus saving weight. The rear view mirror was something new and it helped replace the mechanics other function as lookout. The wheels were suspended by shock absorbers to help stability on dirt roads and the surface vagaries of Indy'd brick track. The single seat configuration allowed a slimmer, more aerodynamic shape along with the 'wasp' tail. The aft vertical stabilizer was Harroun's idea as he was also flying monoplanes at that time. Harroun determined that keeping his speed below 80 mph would prevent tire failures. So, in the whole rave, he only had to change two tires. The runner up, for example, went through 14 tire changes. Harroun retired from racing after the Indy and with Marmon continued making high end passenger cars until 1933 when the Depression finally took its toll.

1 Marmon Wasp 002

1 Marmon Wasp 005 001
1 Marmon Wasp 011
1 Marmon Wasp 006
1 Marmon Wasp 007
1 Marmon Wasp 021
1 Marmon Wasp 033
1 Marmon Wasp 032
1 Marmon Wasp 039
Marmon Wasp 028
Marmon Wasp 029

1 Marmon Wasp 009

Gene Herman, Josh, Mike DeTorrice and 7 people reacted
Chav
 Chav
(@chav)
Famed Member

Thanks for the story and pictures Rich. I assume this is the Replicarz model. I would add this one if somebody makes it in 1/24. Not that difficult car to model ...

Josh and Josh reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

Now that's a very cool model !

Josh and Josh reacted
ReplyQuote
Galen55
(@galen55)
Illustrious Member

bright and clear pics...thanks for sharing

Josh and Josh reacted
ReplyQuote
Josh
 Josh
(@josh)
Prominent Member

Always love to see open wheel racers.  Smile

Joshua J. Shy

ReplyQuote
Chav
 Chav
(@chav)
Famed Member

I used to collect stamps. Recently starting buying car stamps, just to enhance my diecast collection. Here is one of the Max-cards I recently added:

Racing Cars 2011

Josh, Rich Sufficool, Josh and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Rich, Some details I didn't know.

ReplyQuote
Share: