2j2
2j6
2j3
2j5
2j7
2j9
2j8
2j4

I have to say that I think Replicarz did a pretty good job on this extremely innovative and supreme 'odd duck' race car that had a second engine - from a snowmobile - that was used to suck the air out from under the car and thus stick it to the road! Amazing concept that was banned by racing before it was ever really 'shaken out'. 

john3976
(@john3976)
Reputable Member

I remember reading about the ground effects car years ago, one of the problems was it would suck up rocks and other debris from the ground and shoot it out the back of the car making it dangerous for others behind it. This is one car that needed to be banned just because the risk of projectiles injuring someone was far too great. 

Here is a little from an article:

The fans draw air from the bottom of the car and send it—along with dust, debris, oil sprays, and the occasional grass clippings—to the back, presumably into the faces of other drivers. These drivers inevitably raised a stink to Hall about it: we can't see when you're in front, we're getting sprayed with all of this debris.

ReplyQuote
franklemire
(@franklemire)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@john3976 I've read that too and frankly it is an excuse to get a technologically superior car banned. You can look a plenty of race footage and photographs in that era that show car after car with damage from rocks, debris, etc. thrown up by standard race cars. Why do you think so many cars in the 60's had their lights taped before races or even had screens fitted over them? Yes it is true that it would be throwing perhaps more debris in its wake than the average car but that could have been remedied by other means than outright banning the car.

ReplyQuote
john3976
(@john3976)
Reputable Member

The picking up debris issue was real, in Formula One the Brabham Team owned by none other than Bernie Ecclestone at the time built a similar fan car only it used the cars engine to power the fan. 

Complaints started about it picking up debris and shooting it at the following cars as well, so no it was not just an excuse it was a real safety concern. Gordon Murray tried to say that was not an issue claiming it would throw debris to the sides however what else do you expect the designer of the car to say. While the car was ruled legal it was pulled from competition by Bernie Ecclestone because he was in the process of becoming the president of FOCA so the car only ran one race which it won. 

Colin Chapman owner of Lotus was designing a fan car of his own for the next season but the fan car was banned before it went any further. 

Here is an article about the Brabham fan car: http://www.us.motorsport.com/f1/news/banned-tech-brabham-bt46b-fan/4808235/?nrt=54

ReplyQuote
franklemire
(@franklemire)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@john3976 Not saying it was not a real issue just that it was 'overblown' because it was proving to be successful and was therefore going to force everyone else to develop a new technology when so many teams were strapped for cash. Remember, this was before non-automotive sponsorship was allowed so you didn't have the deep pockets of the tobacco companies, etc throwing their money around. 

ReplyQuote
john3976
(@john3976)
Reputable Member

For sure the concept worked but Niki Lauda who won the only race the Brabham fan car was ever entered in said the fan sucked the car to the track but it also took away driver skill and it wore out the driver due to the increased G forces. Brabham designer Gordon Murray even designed a twin fan car but the fan concept by then was banned from Formula One. There were a lot of pit falls with the fan car concept, one was the debris issue, another was taking driver skill out of the equation because the car was glued to the track like it was on a rail and third per Niki Lauda who drove the one and only race the Brabham fan car was entered in and won it said the car just wore out the driver due to the increased G forces. 

I am not arguing with you just pointing the other side of equation of the fan cars. 

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by john3976

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Reputable Member

I swapped out some BBS wheels I had laying around.  It isn't accurate to the real car but I think it looks a lot better.  

DSC00185

ReplyQuote
franklemire
(@franklemire)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@marty-johnson Like the look!

ReplyQuote
Share: