the "stretch" 917... [PIC]

6 Posts
4 Users
18 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Incredibly fast (240mph), but inherently unstable, this long tail version of the 917K, known as the 917LH, came second in the 1970 Le Mans and was a DNF in 1971 due to low oil pressure. This particular #17 was driven by Jo Siffert and Derek Bell in the 1971 Le Mans race.

Porsche 917L 003
Porsche 917L 004
Porsche 917L 008
Porsche 917L 022
Porsche 917L 026
Porsche 917L 013
Porsche 917L 018
Porsche 917L 021
Porsche 917L 035
Porsche 917L 011
Porsche 917L 031
Porsche 917L 037
Porsche 917L 032

Jeff G, Paul Rouffa, Mike DeTorrice and 7 people reacted
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

I don't collect race cars but I like them. Great pictures and writeup Rich.

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

the longtail 917 is one of my favorite models, especially in Gulf livery.  

I also have the 1970 Hippie car, that I was lucky enough to see at the Simeone Museum in Philadelphia.  Some interesting detail changes between the 2.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I bought that one also because it looked so "mod" like '60s Carnaby Street dashion design.... and it's still unopened in its box. Nice comparison shots, Gavin.

ReplyQuote
Jeff G
(@old-caddys)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @gavin

the longtail 917 is one of my favorite models, especially in Gulf livery.  

I also have the 1970 Hippie car, that I was lucky enough to see at the Simeone Museum in Philadelphia.  Some interesting detail changes between the 2.

If you like race cars this is a must see if you are ever in the area. Dr. Simeone has acquired quite a collection of cars. I have been there a few times. I usually would go on the weekends when they had "Demo days" where they would bring out a few of the cars and Dr. Simeone would give a brief history of the vehicle then he would drive the car around the large parking lot behind the building. Most, if not all, of the cars are kept in running condition. I don't remember seeing the 1970 Hippie car on a demo day so I'll have to keep my eye out for that since Covid restrictions have been lifted and the museum will be doing them again.

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

Posted by: @old-caddys

If you like race cars this is a must see if you are ever in the area. Dr. Simeone has acquired quite a collection of cars. I have been there a few times. I usually would go on the weekends when they had "Demo days" where they would bring out a few of the cars and Dr. Simeone would give a brief history of the vehicle then he would drive the car around the large parking lot behind the building. Most, if not all, of the cars are kept in running condition. I don't remember seeing the 1970 Hippie car on a demo day so I'll have to keep my eye out for that since Covid restrictions have been lifted and the museum will be doing them again.

The Simeone is a must see for race car enthusiasts.  We went in 2016 & got to see cars I never imagined I'd see in person (917LH, original Cobra Daytona Coupe, original Corvette Grand Sport, etc).  I missed out on the Demo days, unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
Share: