The World's Fastest Race-Car hauler (in 1954)... [PIC]

7 Posts
5 Users
6 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This custom 1954 Mercedes-Benz Rennabteilung was exactly what you'd give to Mercedes race teams  who were dominant at the time with their W196 "silver arrow" Grand Prix racers and their 300SLR racing sports cars. Using an extended 300S passenger car chassis and using a slightly detuned fuel injected SL engine with a 4 speed transmission, it was finished with custom body work. The cabin and fenders were modified 180 sedan components. As written on the sides, its top speed was 105 mph although I wonder if that feat was ever attempted. With the abrupt withdrawal of Mercedes from racing in 1955 after the horrible crash with multiple casualties and deaths at Le Mans that year, this transporter was soon retired and scrapped. In 1993, Mercedes commissioned MIKA Gmbh of Mölln, Germany to recreate the truck. After 7000 hrs, an exact replica was completed with the only change being front disc brakes from a 1989 SL rather than the original drums. 

M B Transport 027
M B Transport 013
M B Transport 037 001
M B Transport 007
M B Transport 011
M B Transport 005
M B Transport 021
M B Transport 010
M B Transport 024 001
M B Transport 022 001
M B Transport 029 001
M B Transport 004
M B Transport 017
M B Transport 003
M B Transport 035

Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member

Love this! (great pics Rich!)  I remember being shocked when I learned that the 1:1 was actually a fabulous copy, it was not the original.

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

Fabulous!  I soooooo badly want that model!  I just can't find one under a bazillion dollars!  

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@marty-johnson CMC re-released this model with  a few upgrades. The only change I wish I had is the 3-D Mercedes star on the nose rather than the tampo, also pics of the recreation show nothing at all.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member

@rich-sufficool Good info Rich, thanks.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

Rich, this is a great history of this fantastic transporter. CMC has done a great job and you images reflect it well. I saw the recreated transport on a tour of the Mercedes-Benz museum. I also  have two versions of it in 1/43. The best is by CMC but Conrad did a respectable job some years earlier.

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

I love this model.  Great pics & history, @rich-sufficool.

ReplyQuote
Share: