This was a model Hi...

Notifications
Clear all

This was a model Highway 61 was supposed to produce but never made.

7 Posts
4 Users
34 Likes
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, at least according to the rumor. 

In the early days of H61, when they had an appetite for financially unviable "one-offs" like the Hurst Hemi Under Glass Plymouth Barracuda, the twin-engine Hurst Hairy Olds, and the Arnie Beswick '66 Pontiac GTO funny car, there was a rumor circulating that H61 was going to produce the Little Red Wagon truck.  I've never been a fan of wheelstanders as they've always appeared a bit too "circus-like" for my tastes.  However, because of the racing history and the uniqueness of the Little Red Wagon, I was looking forward to adding it to my collection.  

Fans of mid-sixties drag racing know that the original intent of the Little Red Wagon was to be a serious drag racer.  It was built by Jim Schaeffer and John Collier.  They had difficulty keeping the truck's front wheels down, and eventually was turned over to Dick Branstner with Roger Lindamood (Color Me Gone) to try and fix the horrible handling of the truck.  Jay Howell (builder of the Don Gay '66 Infiniti GTO)  took over the driving chores but never could get it to perform properly.  The wheelstands pleased the crowds but not Chrysler Corporation.  They forbid their factory effort cars from those kinds of antics and eventually arranged to have Bill "Maverick" Golden purchase the truck.  The rest, as they say, is history.  

The rumor has it that Highway 61 and Bill "Maverick" Golden couldn't come to a licensing agreement.  Hence, the Little Red Wagon Dodge pickup was never made.  Here's some photos of the very early days.  

Little Red Wagon 6
Little Red Wagon 3
Little Red Wagon 4
Little Red Wagon 1
Centerfold

And of course, a little Photoshop fun.  If the truck were configured with a long wheelbase, the iconic truck would have had an entirely different history.

LRW modified 2

This topic was modified 6 months ago by Marty Johnson

David Green, Rich Sufficool, Jack Dodds and 7 people reacted
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Famed Member

Thanks Marty, you've provided us with alot of much appreciated info.

Steve

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Famed Member

Also, this Ford would have made a terrific replica from H61, both stock and in race form, as would the Dodge. This one appeared a few years back at one of our local cruise nights :

Ford 2
Ford1

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

@mikedetorrice I have hoped for quite some time that these two "pickups" would be done in stock form by someone in 1:43.  Interested Sergio??? Smile  

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

@mikedetorrice - I'm sure you've seen my 1:18 3D imaged Ford Econoline? 

90b

ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Famed Member

@marty-johnson  

Great pics Marty ! 

Steve

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Famed Member

Posted by: @marty-johnson

@mikedetorrice - I'm sure you've seen my 1:18 3D imaged Ford Econoline? 

Yep ! It looks great. I recall you had a heck of a time getting some 3D printed items done (or correctly done).

ReplyQuote
Share: