Unlucky "13"... [PI...

Notifications
Clear all

Unlucky "13"... [PIC]

Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

Since the mid-fifties, Jaguar was developing a race-worthy V12. The result was the 5.0, 502hp DOHC designed from two XK 6 cylinders with a common crank shaft with power through the 5 speed ZF transmission. It was a full race version with plans for a detuned variant for passenger cars. By 1966, it was incorporated into this beautiful,graceful aluminum body designed by aerodynamic guru, Malcolm Sayer of the Bristol Aeroplane Company who was the designer of the C Type and D Type Jaguars. The goal was to race this at LeMans and they hired Jack Brabham to test the car at Silverstone. There were too many refinements needed on the car for the LeMans race so the car was put on the back burner. When the Series 3 V12 XKE was to be debuted, they brought out the XJ13 to be filmed at speed with the E-Type and due to a bad tire the car was virtually destroyed in a crash and the wreckage was hauled back into storage. Years later, Edward Loades discovered the wreckage and with his company, Abbey Panels (see the plaque on the dash), offered to restore the car 'similar' to its original condition. When the restored car was debuted in 1973 at Silverstone, Jaguar issued a disclaimer that the car wasn't exactly like the original. Perhaps a bit of sour grapes there. The car now resides at the British Motor Museum in Graydon, UK.

I first saw the AUTOart model at a show and was blown away by it but I didn't have the funds with me to buy it. I finally chased one down a few years later and I just love it.

JagXJ13 001
JagXJ13 002
JagXJ13 003
JagXJ13 018
JagXJ13 007
JagXJ13 008
JagXJ13 006
JagXJ13 020
JagXJ13 019
JagXJ13 010
JagXJ13 009
JagXJ13 013
JagXJ13 014
JagXJ13 004
JagXJ13 005 001

This topic was modified 2 months ago by Rich Sufficool

Chav, David Green, Bob Jackman and 2 people liked
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Reputable Member

That's one that got away.  It should have been in my collection but sadly, is not.  

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Famed Member

Wow....I love this one!

ReplyQuote
Paul Rouffa
(@paul-rouffa)
Reputable Member

If I could only save one diecast, this might be it.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Famed Member

Love this one. I bought it early and it is still one of my top six 1/18 scale models. You have done a wonderful post showing it well Rich.

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @marty-johnson

That's one that got away.  It should have been in my collection but sadly, is not.  

same with me, @marty-johnson.  I missed out on these & really wish I'd grabbed one.  Its a simply beautiful model.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Reputable Member

HA! I'm not sure I've even seen this before. Nice layout (as usual) Rich. Looks like Autoart at it's best!

ReplyQuote
franklemire
(@franklemire)
Estimable Member

I missed out on this one as well - I've always expected that Spark or one of the other resin manufacturers would put one out as it is a model that now goes for very high prices when it does come up for sale.

ReplyQuote
Share: