Updating an old model

13 Posts
5 Users
8 Likes
franklemire
(@franklemire)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I had planned for years to do this and finally got around to it - let's call it peer group pressure

This is the First Race, First Win Mustang GT350 as it was driven by Ken Miles. The key item is the removal of the vent window and frame and replacement of it with full plexiglas windows and mounting bracket.

miles GT350

Also removed the side mirror which Ken and Carroll Shelby never seemed to be big fans of.

Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

Looks great ! Is this the Shelby Collectibles model ?

ReplyQuote
franklemire
(@franklemire)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Mike - This one is from the late, lamented, Lane Models. That said, it could be done just as easily with the Shelby Collectibles model as they are pretty close to identical.

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @franklemire

Mike - This one is from the late, lamented, Lane Models. That said, it could be done just as easily with the Shelby Collectibles model as they are pretty close to identical.

I wonder if they shared basic tooling on this one ? I have a blue stock edition by SC.

Photo Series 11 20 12 020mod2XCZ

ReplyQuote
Josh
 Josh
(@josh)
Prominent Member

Great job, as usual, but my Lane set much lower in the rear, or at least it appears yours sets much better?

Joshua J. Shy

ReplyQuote
Josh
 Josh
(@josh)
Prominent Member

@mikedetorrice Nice picture, the model looks great. Have you made any changes to the out of the box model? I have considered one of these for some time but have never seen such a good photo of a SC.

Joshua J. Shy

ReplyQuote
franklemire
(@franklemire)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

@josh The SC GT350 Mustangs are excellent models for the money - as you might expect I prefer the GT350R models but the street ones hold their own on the shelf next to the more expensive brands.

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @josh

@mikedetorrice Nice picture, the model looks great. Have you made any changes to the out of the box model? I have considered one of these for some time but have never seen such a good photo of a SC.

Thanks ! I haven't made any changes to the Shelby Collectibles '66 Mustang. Frank is correct that they look superb right out of the box with beautiful paint and details and a good stance. Here is a view from the back of the blue stock version.

Photo Series 11 20 12mod4XCZ

ReplyQuote
Josh
 Josh
(@josh)
Prominent Member

@franklemire Thanks for the info, I value your opinion.

Joshua J. Shy

ReplyQuote
Josh
 Josh
(@josh)
Prominent Member

@mikedetorrice Thanks for helping make this an easy decision Mike.

Joshua J. Shy

ReplyQuote
john3976
(@john3976)
Famed Member

Here is my Shelby Collectibles version from the Lane tooling. 

D14EAEB5 2A82 4CD7 8B27 28D79065BC88
A6409E56 B745 47EA 8C2F 6F15F0AD89EC 1 201 a

6931F08E F3F6 4B09 962E 3CC0B95F6344
7DD37374 6F30 437C 9A1E 2D12347F3A75

E8157227 92D5 4B03 BB81 801198C7D422

Josh and Josh reacted
ReplyQuote
john3976
(@john3976)
Famed Member

I just noticed your Lane version has side scoops on the body, the actual race car did not have the side scoops, the front bumper on the Lane version also has more of a square hole in the bumper where as the actual race car had round holes. The Shelby Collectibles got the holes correct on the front bumper and they also do not have the side scoops on the side of the body. 

Both the Lane and Shelby Collectibles versions dropped the ball on the rear bumper with both eliminating the rear bumper that was on the actual race car in photos. 

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

I have the Lane R (bought from @franklemire, many years ago) & the Shelby Collectibles non-R.  I'm convinced that SC is using the same mold.

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Gavin

Josh and Josh reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: