What a Beast!... [PIC]

9 Posts
6 Users
20 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I remember the first time I saw the American General "Hummer" on the road. It was ahead of me in the left lane of the Garden State Parkway and it was as wide as the lane it was in, and the driver was having some difficulty maintaining that lane. When it veered to the left shoulder, I passed it on the right. Driving this beast, or at least attempting to, was a tiny little young blonde who seemed very sorry she took hubby's macho status symbol for a joy ride. (If you remember, the big proponent for this beast was Arnold Schwarzenegger). As the civilian version of the M998 Humvee ( High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle ), you realized it should never have left the battlefield. It had been around since 1983 when American General was still a subsidiary of American Motors. This civilian version was produced from 1992 to 2006. By 1999, GM bought the rights to the Hummer brand and ultimately, the Hummer was rebranded the H1 when the smaller H2 was unveiled. The Hummer received a lot of upgrades especially with the diesel engine options and different transmissions. The final engine configuration- a  6.6 liter turbo Duramax diesel V8 was the most powerful and efficient. If you consider 10 mph efficient. BTW: Have you ever seen so many "No Step" warning stickers in an engine bay?

Hummer 001
Hummer 002
Hummer 003
Hummer 007
Hummer 009
Hummer 016
Hummer 017
Hummer 014 001
Hummer 011
Hummer 013
Hummer 012
Hummer 020
Hummer 021
Hummer 022
Hummer 002
Hummer 005
Hummer 006
Hummer 001

Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

nicely done model by Exoto.  Cool color on this one, too.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Great pictures and writeup Rich. Your title says it all.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@gavin It's one of those DuPont Standox Chromalusion paints called Catalunya Splash.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

Great model, great pics...Exoto can replicate anything (I have the red, soft-top, version ). Love your "blanket snow"  it's VERY convincing!

100Ford2003 reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

What a monster! Interesting post Rich. This is one Exoto model that I missed seeing.

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

Very nice Exoto diecast model and it photographs wonderfully here in it's snow setting ! I used to have Maisto's 1/18 version of this fully enclosed Hummer and it was also impressive.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@chris Amazing what you can do with a T shirt. LOL

100Ford2003 reacted
ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @rich-sufficool