Another Toy Box Survivor... Partially Restored (sorta)... [PIC]

7 Posts
6 Users
14 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

When I first got this Tootsie Toy '55 Pontiac Safari (about age 9), I was in love with it. Beautiful tutone paint with full interior and operating rear gate. In my sadistic tweens and early teens, I beat the hell out of it. I stripped what was left of the paint and mixed the two colors to match the original (the base plate is original paint), and airbrushed it. Some of the trim I foiled but polishing the bulk of the bumpers and waterfall trim, I thought I could polish but the metal wouldn't cooperate. I wanted to get to the interior as the seats were still OK but the dash had corroded to the point that it looks like it went down with the Titanic (see pic). This one is really close to 1/24 and I really wished I had buried it in a time capsule about 1958 or so.

IMG 8572
IMG 8564
IMG 8567 002
IMG 8575
IMG 8573
IMG 8576
IMG 8579 001
IMG 8565 001
IMG 8583

David Green, John Merritt, John Napoli and 1 people reacted
John Napoli
(@carsman1958)
Illustrious Member

Rich another classic.  You at least still have them.  I had either sold all mine from when I was a kid or threw them out.  The best I can do is that I did keep all my Matchbox cars.  Now where to find them is another story.  They packed away somewhere in this house.

Greg and Tony Perrone reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

What a wonderful Pontiac wagon and it is great you helped bring it back closer to it's former self. Very nice !

Tony Perrone reacted
ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Illustrious Member

Another really cool "blast from the past" I've never seen one of these. 

John Merritt
South Lyon, Michigan - USA

Tony Perrone reacted
ReplyQuote
kevins
(@kevins)
Estimable Member

@jcarnutz Great find Rich, brings back fond memories. When I was a boy, I really loved the large Tootsie’s. I’ve also been a big fan of the Safari, always wanted one. I was told that most of the surviving one’s and parts cars have been stripped out to restore Nomads, so restorations can be tough. Oh well, maybe I’ll get lucky and run across the Tootsie version. Thanks for sharing.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

@kevins I don't know if you are aware of this or not but Goldvarg Models is coming out with a '56 Pontiac Safari this year in 1:43 scale in two color choices.  If you want you can see them on their web site.  IMO they are going to be gorgeous!

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

I have never seen this Tootsie model before nor knew it existed.  Very cool!

ReplyQuote
Share: