Continental Mark ll...

Notifications
Clear all

Continental Mark ll Cabriolet... [PIC]

Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

Ironically the Continental Mkll was originally designed in 1953 as a convertible. The stock cowbelly frame employed was set up for a convertible and in the second year of production, a third crossmember was eliminated as unnecessary for the hard top. Seeking to expand the Continental lineup, two convertible prototypes were ordered. A black stock Mkll was sent to Hess & Eisenstadt (think Kennedy limo) for the conversion. This car went on display a Chicago dealership to entice wealthy buyers (the standard Mkll was $2000 more than a Cadillac). A second white Mkll convertible was finished a year later built by Derhan Coachbuilders to be shown at the 1956 Texas State Fair I guess to woo oil money. This car caught the eye of William Clay Ford and he had Ford repaint it his favorite Honolulu Blue and ultimately it became his family car, mostly driven by his wife. Both cars were eventually sold to collectors and various top mechanisms were made, in essence, to duplicate the look of Charley Phaneuf's 1953 drawings.

Franklin Mint did a nice conversion of their venerable Mkll hard top. I'm not sure where they got this color from. It's not Honolulu Blue nor the dark slate blue one appeared with at a recent Pebble Beach appearance.

56 Mark cv 001
56 Mark cv 053
56 Mark cv 043
56 Mark cv 031
56 Mark cv 032
56 Mark cv 019
56 Mark cv 018
56 Mark cv 033
56 Mark cv 034
Continental 003
56 Mark cv 045
56 Mark cv 048
Continental 018

Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Famed Member Registered

I don't know about the color but I love this model. I have model #1.

Chav liked
ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Prominent Member

Beautiful in this color and the Mark II looks wonderful as either a coupe or convertible.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mikedetorrice

Beautiful in this color and the Mark II looks wonderful as either a coupe or convertible.

I always wanted buy a 1:1 but never had the money to by a good one or restore a not-so-good one. The closest I got was when in late 1963, I salvaged the 368 V8 and 3 speed automatic from a wrecked Mkll and shoved it in my 1956 Mercury. After replacing a blown head gasket and grinding the valves (by hand), the engine was fantastic!

ReplyQuote
Share: