Hood Ornaments and ...

Notifications
Clear all

Hood Ornaments and Badges... [PIC]

Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

As a little kid in the late '40s and early '50s, I was always fascinated with automotive jewelry. To the age of five, my mother used to take me up the hill to Brooklyn Heights. I had no idea how wealthy the neighborhood back then was. All I remember being able to identify the hood ornaments on Pierce-Arrows, Duesenbergs, Packards and the like (yeah, it must have been a rich neighborhood). At about six, we moved to New Jersey as they built the BQE right through our apartment complex. By that time, I was into all things rockets, jets and space. My parents always watched "Douglas Edwards and the News" that was sponsored by Oldsmobile sporting the ringed globe and rocket. (side note: In my early teens, I'd take frequent trips to the local junkyards and pry off all the neat ornaments and badges I could get including later the jet ornament from my '56 Merc which I had nosed and decked. Sadly, when I got back from the army, my parents had thrown every thing away).

Anyway, when DM did this '55 Olds Rocket 88 convertible, it brought back some smiles and memories.

55Olds 026 001
55Olds 011 001
55Olds 017 001
55Olds 005
55Olds 007 001
55Olds 006
55Olds 025
55Olds 027
55Olds 021

PacoSaval, Jack Dodds, Pete Rovero and 1 people liked
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin Moderator

GREAT photography my friend. But judging from your memories, you must be about 30 or 40 years older than me.    HA!   God; where do the years go Rich??  Amazed  

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

Yeah, so much of my life is now ancient history. When we get off the Verrazano bridge in Brooklyn, I tell my daughters I used to live under it. LOL

ReplyQuote
Geoff Jowett
(@geoff-jowett)
Noble Member

Nice story Rich, great pics as always. That model was about my third DM, bought from Roy Rauch, getting close to 20 years ago now.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Famed Member Registered

Super writeup and pictures Rich. I have the same memories of automobile badges and ornaments as you. A big part of why I collect the little cars is nostalgia.

ReplyQuote
Pete Rovero
(@pete-rovero)
Prominent Member

Great model and pics Rich.  I loved "shopping" at wrecking yards in the past, but there's not much in them that interests me today.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

@pete-rovero In the old days, I'd bring a few simple tools and they'd let you rummage around all day. I'd show them a bag of goodies and the guy would say, "two bucks". Nowadays, you tell them the part you need and you sit in a waiting room while the computer locates the part, someone gets it and you pay 70% of NOS for it. Aaah, the good old days.

ReplyQuote
Share: