I got some sad news...

Notifications
Clear all

I got some sad news this morning. Some long-time members will remember...

8 Posts
5 Users
12 Likes
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin
Topic starter  

...Dr. George Dill. He passed away recently. Friend and long-time D4C member, Bob Wooley stays in touch and wrote me to share the bad news.

George was with the DieCast Car Collectors Club (D4C) since its inception, with founder, Jay Olins. George kept impeccable car lists from the early days of Franklin and Danbury Mint manufacture. His work ethic, friendship, humor and intelligence was infectious. George was a tremendous inspiration to me personally. And even though we met, at his home on only two occasions, we stayed in constant contact.

George was an eye doctor prior to becoming quadriplegic, but his duties with the diecast club never waivered. He had voice-recognition software that worked wonderfully.

As soon as I learn more, I'll share it here. RIP George.

john barry
(@john-barry)
Illustrious Member

thanks for sharing this sad news......I have just a vague recollection of the name "George Dill" and none of the man himself....your brief eulogy clearly speaks of an individual with a most notable strength of character

the members here may also wish to know that poster and long time commenter "Evan" passed a few weeks back.....a gentle and supportive soul

ReplyQuote
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin
Topic starter  

Thanks John; and so sorry to hear about Evan! 

ReplyQuote
John Napoli
(@carsman1958)
Famed Member

Tony, sad to hear this.  I remember speaking with George years ago, when I was helping put listings into the system.  I believe I did all the Classic Metal Works cars at the time.  Boy, that was back in the early 2000's.  Thanks for keeping us informed.

ReplyQuote
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @carsman1958

Tony, sad to hear this.  I remember speaking with George years ago, when I was helping put listings into the system.  I believe I did all the Classic Metal Works cars at the time.  Boy, that was back in the early 2000's.  Thanks for keeping us informed.

Wink

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

RIP George. I remember George's submissions back in the day.

ReplyQuote
Allan Ording
(@67gto)
Estimable Member

Sad news about George. I remember and appreciate his reviews and other contributions to D4C. I made PDF copies of most of the 1/24th reviews from George, Tony, Richard Sufficool, Tom Pine and others. Very valuable resource I wouldn't have if it weren't for the dedication of people like George Dill. Sorry to hear of Evan's passing. May they both rest in peace.

ReplyQuote
John Napoli
(@carsman1958)
Famed Member

@67gto I too also printed out the reviews for every car I have that was on the site at the time, all kept in looseleaf notebooks with the cars papers.

Allan Ording, Tony Perrone, Allan Ording and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: