My latest diecast Farm Tractor...

9 Posts
5 Users
9 Likes
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin
Topic starter  

Founded as the Brantford Plow Works by James G. Cockshutt in 1877 in Brantford, Ontario, Canada, the large agricultural machinery manufacturer did not have a tractor design of its own. So in 1929 an arrangement was made to distribute Allis-Chalmers model 20-35 and United tractors (United was a group of Fordson dealers who contracted Allis for a new tractor, once Ford stopped North American production of the Fordson). In 1935 Cockshutt took on the Oliver tractor line.

Manufactured during the 1964-1969 period, the 50 series tractors, from Models 1450 to 2150, were nearly identical to Oliver tractors and used the same model numbers. They were manufactured at the Oliver plant in Charles City, Iowa, and only differed from Olivers (Meadow Green) in paint color, and bearing the new Cockshutt logo.

The popular Cockshutt Model 1850 had a Perkins 5.8L 6-cyl diesel developing 92 HP at the PTO, power-assist steering and it carried 31.5 gallons of diesel fuel. Models could be ordered with 6-speed unsynchronized, 12-speed partial powershift or 18-speed partial power shift transmissions. Depending on operating configurations, the machine weighed in between 8,965 to 10,965 pounds.

The 1/16th scale diecast, shown here, is made by SpecCast in their, "Highly Detailed", 'Classic Series' line. It represents the Cockshutt Model 1850 Diesel Row Crop, wide front tractor, built from 1964 to 1969. It is replicated with the ROPS (Roll Over Protection System) and optional full canopy. Operational features range from automotive-type steering to the working three-point hitch system. The engine detail on the diesel is excellent and so is the operator's station levers and gauges. Decal lettering is crisp and the paint is rich, smooth and even.

This is a SpecCast release from 2021.

Geoff Jowett
(@geoff-jowett)
Famed Member

brilliant Tony. 35 years collecting and it was only your recent photo presentations that twigged me to what great scale models tractors can be. I have this on the way, expected in a couple of weeks.

tractor

I'd really love to find one of the real "ancient" ones like these:

old
old jd
old2

ReplyQuote
John Napoli
(@carsman1958)
Famed Member

Tony.  Never saw one of these, but that is really nice.  How many tractors in what scale do you actually have?

ReplyQuote
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin
Topic starter  

@carsman1958 

Thanks John! Most are 1/16th; about 40+. The vast majority are Ertl and John Deere. But I have about 15 of various other makes built by SpecCast and Universal Hobbies. Then another 25-30 in 1/43rd, 1/32nd, 1/64th and one in 1/87th scale.

John Napoli reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @geoff-jowett

brilliant Tony. 35 years collecting and it was only your recent photo presentations that twigged me to what great scale models tractors can be. I have this on the way, expected in a couple of weeks.

tractor

I'd really love to find one of the real "ancient" ones like these:

old jd

Geoff, that model will be terrific; can't wait to see your finished product. And the Deere looks very similar to Ertl's 'Precision Classics' #1 1934 John Deere Model A:

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

I too have never seen one of these tractors in person; although I have always been aware of the name.  Thanks for the info Tony.

Tony Perrone reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

So Tony, do you keep these tractors in a barn? I love these tractor models but have no room to start another collecting theme.

ReplyQuote
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bob-jackman

So Tony, do you keep these tractors in a barn? I love these tractor models but have no room to start another collecting theme.

HA! No Bob, they are in the basement in 2 large book cabinets and 2 storage shelves. And, yes, they do take up lots of room.  Cool

Jack Dodds reacted
ReplyQuote
Geoff Jowett
(@geoff-jowett)
Famed Member

@perrone1 that 1934 John Deere is a beauty. Imagine driving/operating it? Room for larger scales is my problem too, only way around that now is a bigger house!

Tony Perrone reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: