What will the future hold... in 1960?... [PIC]

3 Posts
3 Users
12 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

In the 50s, I wasn't much of a gearhead, I was just fascinated with automotive design and what the future would hold. Hence, the most fascinating designs to me during the early '50's turned out to be what we refer to these days as "orphan cars" like the '54-'55 Kaiser Manhattan and Darrin, the Studebakers and the Nashes. In 1954 (or there abouts), Mattel came out with their vision of the future with their XP-1960 Dream Cars powered by the "Speed Streak Friction Motor". I'm not sure how many colors they came in as I was limited to what I could beg my mother for, but the cars had metal chassis and the standard open top had metallic tape trim (which, miraculously has survived) and the deluxe, slightly larger model has a removable bubble top and all the trim and grill is stamped metal. Somehow, these toys along with a few others, survived my destructive early teens (Alas, I do regret all the cool stuff I blew up in those years).

I'm adding pics one more model of early 50s futurism that I stumbled across finding the Mattel photos. It's a solid metal casting, probably a Banthrico bank, that predates Chrysler's "Forward Look" with multiple stacked headlights, wild tail fins and twin NACA hood scoops.

SAACGT350 025
SAACGT350 026
SAACGT350 022
SAACGT350 023
SAACGT350 024

RC2018
RC2019

John Shamblin
(@shambles)
Noble Member

Very cool. I was a car nut from an early age (born in '52) but didn't get into models until I was in elementary school.I don't remember seeing any of those you have, but would have loved to had some. I blew up a lot of models up too and my younger brother and I got into a life-long competition to see who could build the most realistic wrecks. I've built literally hundreds of model cars and lord only knows how many I wrecked over the years. I've got a few of my more recent efforts on my site here:

https://www.shamblesmodels.com/wrecked-2.html

and here:

https://www.shamblesmodels.com/dioramas.html

hpim2318 760 1

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

Wow, those are wonderful models, Rich ! What cool toys for anyone to have .... and especially a kid. It is great they are still in your possession.

ReplyQuote
Share: