9 Posts
4 Users
36 Likes
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

1931 DUESENBERG - SJ TOWN CAR by Dugu

Way back in 1970, I returned to collecting model cars having saved for years, Matchbox, Dinky and Corgi without any thought of it being a collection, just a bunch of models that attracted me. In the early 1970s I got interested in Italian model car manufacturers, one in particular made many early classic cars. That was DUGU MINIAUTOTOY.

Dugu Miniautotoys was a brand of diecast metal models, mostly in 1:43 scale, made in Varallo Sesia, Vercelli Province, Piedmont, Italy, north of Turin and west of Lake Orto. The company made models for the Carlo Biscaretti di Ruffia Automobile Museum in Turin. They were made from from 1961 to 1975.

The Dugu company apparently changed its name to Sispla in 1974, but lasted only until 1975.

I bought most of mine, including Rio and Mebetoys from a FIAT dealer in Toronto for $3 each back then.

Here is the 1931 Duesenberg from that purchase.

P1110328
P1110329
P1110331
P1110333
P1110343

P1110337
P1110339

John Kuvakas, Ed Davis, Bob Jackman and 9 people reacted
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Can't believe a Fiat dealer carried all those back then!  It's great you found them!  And kept them.  The first part:  https://www.maronline.org.uk/dugu-143-models-part-i/

The part with the Duesies:  http://www.maronline.org.uk/dugu-143-models-part-ii/ , no's 13 and 19.

John Kuvakas, David Green, John Kuvakas and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@karl 

Thanks Karl. The MAR articles cover DUGU very well.

Yes, that was a great find. I bought 3 of all the FIAT dealer had at the time and traded the extras with CTCS friends over the years. There was a FIAT Catalogue showing the whole promotion but, if I still have it, it is well stored.

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

@david-green  yes, thanks.  I translated an Italian website with google's help to get all that DUGU information into English-speakers' hands!  🙄 

John Kuvakas, David Green, John Kuvakas and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

I had that one in yellow body/black fenders soon after it appeared. Then I got Dueseys from Solido and Rio, which seemed to capture the Duesenberg "look" better, so the Dugu was sold off. I have shied away from Dugus due to their wheel melt problem (reaction with tires) but I do miss their Lancia Lambda. Perhaps someone will make one again someday.

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Still have my yellow one!  Wheels are 'good' for a DUGU but missing the hood ornament! 😥 

Dugu Duesie yellow

ReplyQuote
Randy Rusk
(@randyrusk)
Prominent Member

Did anyone else notice the Duesemberg spelling on the baseplate?

Karl Schnelle, David Green, Karl Schnelle and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@randyrusk 

Hi Randy,

Yes, a discussion point way back when but mostly forgotten now. I'm not sure why this word 'Duesenberg' is such a problem for many. Even Apple Spell Check tries to change it to an incorrect version.

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Duesemberg, that's the Italian spelling, I am sure...

Ciao, Carlo

Randy Rusk, David Green, Randy Rusk and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: