1946 Pontiac..........

10 Posts
8 Users
33 Likes
Nickies
(@nickies)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Does anybody thinking of whitewall tires for their Pontiac? It seems to me the model would display better. 

Michel Lemieux, Michael Garrett, Ed Davis and 1 people reacted
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

Arguably, whitewalls enhance the appearance of most any car, but one must consider they were optional for decades. In reality, not nearly as many 1940's & 1950's cars actually had them as people might suspect considering the numbers of restored cars that wear them today. Post war American cars suffered from war shortages. Chrome bumpers, whitewall tires and some accessories were simply not readily available. 

To see whitewall tires on any post war (1946-1948) American car in the "low price field"  would've been rare (for a variety of reasons).  It's my opinion, to leave this Pontiac "as is,"   it's far more historically accurate and thus, adds to the overall attractiveness of the replica.

David Green, Michael Garrett, Ed Davis and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

I like the blackwall look on this particular car, which is also how it looks at the NBC. Now if Brooklin did a convertible version, ww tires might be the way ro go.

David Green, Michael Garrett, Ed Davis and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Michael Garrett
(@mike)
Trusted Member

In my first job out of college (which was back in the dark ages) they had a rule that company cars could not have whitewalls.  When a new company car was delivered, if it had whitewalls you had to get them reversed so the white wall faced inward.  I bought an old company car and it was this way.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @mike

In my first job out of college (which was back in the dark ages) they had a rule that company cars could not have whitewalls.  When a new company car was delivered, if it had whitewalls you had to get them reversed so the white wall faced inward.  I bought an old company car and it was this way.

Wasn't the main reason for that to demonstrate that the company was efficiently run and not wasteful on frivolous things?  I vaguely recall that being said when I was a kid.....I think I have it right.

Michael Garrett, John Kuvakas, Ed Davis and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

@jack-dodds Same here. I thought it was ridiculous but I had to take my '74 Torino to a tire store and have them reversed to blackwalls. By that time hardly any new cars had blackwalls, except public service and utility vehicles.

ReplyQuote
Michel Lemieux
(@michel-lemieux)
Noble Member

Best thing is to have two sets of tyres one with the original like the car at the museum and one if you prefer with the whitewalls. I wonder how much is a set of new whitewalls however? One that i like with the whitewalls is the 1942 Oldsmobile blue that John Merritt have. The Look is much better in a display cases with the whitewalls but for the 1942 Olds in two tones, i prefer the original version.

50020728203 90685f2d50 b
50021523552 2fb1769c25 b

50020728113 ecdc621c52 b

ReplyQuote
Steve Williams
(@stewil)
Honorable Member

I did not enjoy the white walls - my father made me scrub them way too many times - 1953 Black Buick Roadmaster.  🙄 

Models = Miracles in miniature = Holding History in ones hand
Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve

ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Illustrious Member

As far as whitewalls go, my thoughts are that it depends on the car. I would like to put whitewalls on the '46 Pontiac, but I like it a lot as it is. I will leave alone, maybe I'll be able to secure a 2nd one for the transformation. As far as the blue '42 Oldsmobile, something always bothered me about the look. Once I added the whitewalls, it approved the look significantly.

John Merritt
South Lyon, Michigan - USA

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
Nickies
(@nickies)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I just received the new chrome bumpers and grille I requested from Brooklin.  In same time I asked for a set of WW and they gladly sent me one. I came to the conclusion the model looks better with BW.

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: