Clear all

1964 Breezeway

20 Posts
13 Users
14 Likes
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

That "Breezeway" design has been around since about 1953-54. Mercury had a concept car called the D-528 or Beldone. 

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

Pete Rovero reacted
ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member

@pete-rovero   I like them both, Pete and John, even though I'm not familiar with either.  I think I'll try a little research.  

David H Nerd  

(later) Okay!  I've found some good information.  Here are the sources for those who have any interest in two dream cars of the early and mid-1950s. One of them, the Plymouth, has been modeled in 1/43 scale by Matrix and sometimes shows up on the used markets. I don't have it. The Mercury was featured in a movie, "The Patsy," and that's where the "Beldone" name originated.

Plymouth Plainsman

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/1956_Chrysler_Plainsman   (good history and fine photos)

Mercury D-528 / Beldone

https://www.hotcars.com/incredible-piece-of-history-the-mercury-d528-is-fords-largest-fiberglass-car/   (pretty well written history and some good pictures)

And here's a little more:

The 1955 Mercury D-528 (the 528th design concept to come out of the FoMoCo Engineering Department, it was not a "show car" but an engineering test bed) which is identified on your website as having had a minor role in an "Outer Limits" episode (TV series) had much greater exposure as the "Beldone" in the 1964 Jerry Lewis movie "The Patsy". The car had been modified by George Barris for remote control operation of the doors, hood, and trunk; he also changed the nameplate from "D-528" to "Beldone" at the request of Paramont Pictures. However, the car looked essentially the same, despite a new paint job. The car stayed with Paramont for quite a while, showing up in various TV shows and movies, until it returned to George Barris and eventually passed into private hands.

[Image: 69238841im6.2489.jpg]

The Plainsman debuted at the 1956 Chicago Auto Show as a Chrysler Corporation 'Idea Car'. Like popular Chrysler minivans which followed decades later, the Plainsman greatly anticipated user needs. It had many pioneering firsts including a full power tail gate with retractable rear window, power third row rear-facing seat, hidden spare tire, power retracting hidden gas filler, rear entry steps, flow-through ventilation and luxury interior with flat folding seats. Designed by David E. Scott and approved by Virgil Exner, Plainsman was built by Ghia in Italy. After its show career the car was sold directly to Chrysler's Latin American Sales V.P. Elwood Parrish, stationed in Cuba. Upon Castro's takeover, Parrish made a desperate escape with the car to Puerto Rico. It was later taken to Australia, Japan and driven cross country in the United States. Plainsman spent most of its life in California and has just undergone a painstaking full restoration.
1956 Chrysler Plainsman Concept 1956 Chrysler Plainsman Concept 

This post was modified 2 months ago 8 times by David H

Pete Rovero reacted
ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Illustrious Member

The Mercury 4-doors are definitely on my must-have list.

John Merritt
South Lyon, Michigan - USA

ReplyQuote
Pete Rovero
(@pete-rovero)
Noble Member

@d-m-holcombe 

Thanks, David, for your research on these two "survivor" dream cars.  I was fortunate to see both of these cars at the Petersen Auto Museum years ago.  The Plainsman was not restored and was a bit rough as in the pictures that I posted of it. 

Joseph Bortz had his collection of dream cars featured at the Petersen in '97-'98 which I was fortunate to see.  I have the event poster hanging in my house.  I can't believe that was 25 years ago!

Petersen Dream Cars

ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member

@pete-rovero   Many thanks for your comments, Pete.  I have never seen such 1:1 cars, only in our much smaller versions.  I remember as a boy admiring the new Kaiser Darrin and Chevrolet Corvette, but that was only on the showroom floors of the dealers.  I still remember them vividly. (Click on picture for enlarging.)

(later) And I just looked up Joseph Bortz. Thanks again!

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by David H

Pete Rovero reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: