A Brooklin T-Bird set, an auction lesson, and a little mystery

6 Posts
5 Users
22 Likes
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Recently I was browsing a traditional (i.e., non-ebay) auction site and spotted the BRK three-car CTCI 40th Anniversary set at an attractive opening bid price. I have not been looking for these but the all-pastel set appealed to me so I threw in a bid at the minimum, not thinking I would win, but I did. 

Brooklin BRK 013X 013Y 013A Ford Thunderbird CTCI set pic2
Brooklin BRK 013X 013Y 013A Ford Thunderbird CTCI set pic1

Now I knew there would be a buyer's premium, and mentally I had factored that in, along with a reasonale shipping charge. When I got the invoice it was a lot higher than I expected and included sales tax and a $38 shipping fee. I asked if they could look at that latter figure again and thankfully they admitted an error, and reduced it. Still, all fees amounted to about 60% of the hammer price. So the lessons are: look at the fine print about additional fees like taxes, and don't be afraid to question a charge that looks too high.

Brooklin BRK 013X Ford Thunderbird 1955 CTCI pic1
Brooklin BRK 013X Ford Thunderbird 1955 CTCI pic2

With UK auctions I mentally consider that the final cost will be the winning bid in pounds multiplied by 2.1 to give me a dollar estimate. I think I will prepare myself for a 50-60% domestic factor from now on, depending on the auction house. Too bad I don't live near one of these, so I can pick up in person. BTW, in the same auction there were a couple of Motor City models that went well above my limits. One ended at $800, but, ignoring postage, that meant it ended up costing the buyer around $1080. The hobbyDB website values for models sometimes list some Vectis results, but I doubt fees are included. 

Brooklin BRK 013Y Ford Thunderbird 1956 CTCI pic1
Brooklin BRK 013Y Ford Thunderbird 1956 CTCI pic2

Now that I have it in hand, it's a nice little set, and conditions of the models are perfect. Despite lacking the chrome details of newer BRKs, they look OK and proportionally are correct to my eye. Even Kay likes how they look together. 

Brooklin BRK 013A Ford Thunderbird 1957 CTCI pic1
Brooklin BRK 013A Ford Thunderbird 1957 CTCI pic2

Now for a little mystery. Included with the set was a white metal figure of a photographer, similar to, if not identical, to that in the BRK 172X BCC Wedding Lincoln, except for paint. The hat is painted to look like he's a press photographer, with a little press card painted in the brim. He still has a bit of green material on his feet, used to steady him in a display cabinet. Gianluigi's book doesn't show this as part of the CTCI set - does anyone know off the top of their head where it belongs?

Brooklin photographer
Brooklin BRK 172X Lincoln BCC

This topic was modified 2 months ago by Harv Goranson

John Merritt, David Knight, Ted Weller and 11 people reacted
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Noble Member

That looks like a nice set of models.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Skip Johnson
(@skip)
Estimable Member

Harv -- your photographer looks to me like he belongs with BRK64A 1959 Ford Thunderbird convertible, done in  light gold for the San Francisco Bay Brooklin Club back in 2002 (200 models produced).  The model replicated a Chinese New Year Parade car.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Skip Johnson

Skip Johnson
Tonawanda, New York

John Kuvakas, Karl Schnelle, John Kuvakas and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

I have the set and while I don't know where the figure belongs I do know it wasn't a part of this set, but then, I guess you already knew that.

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Posted by: @skip

Harv -- your photographer looks to me like he belongs with BRK64A 1959 Ford Thunderbird convertible, done in  light gold for the San Francisco Bay Brooklin Club back in 2002 (200 models produced).  The model replicated a Chinese New Year Parade car.

Good lone, Skip!!!   See https://www.hobbydb.com/marketplaces/hobbydb/catalog_items/1959-ford-thunderbird-convertible-sfbbc-2002

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@skip Thanks Skip - mystery solved! 

ReplyQuote
Share: