A couple of old Hallmark vehicles

10 Posts
6 Users
56 Likes
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yes, more of that "something I found while looking for something else."  Here are a couple of Hallmark Christmas ornament style vehicles, at least close to 1/43 in scale.  They show no signs of ever having been opened before.

IMG 8035
IMG 8036

Yes, the 1969 Chevrolet Camaro, fifth in the ornament series, and a 1995 copyright date on the license tag. Price is still on the box, $12.95.  Well, maybe a good one for someone who likes anything with the Camaro name.

IMG 8038
IMG 8039
IMG 8037

This is the 1937 Ford, heralded as the first Ford V8 pickup.  The ornament is dated 1998, fourth in the All-American Truck Series and priced at $13.95.  It's a darn good model of an unusual subject.  

There was a third Hallmark with these two, and it's so much better that I hesitate to combine it with the Camaro and the Ford.  But here goes:

IMG 8041
IMG 8042
IMG 8040
IMG 8044

This 1935 Auburn Speedster is die cast metal and weighs more than the other two put together, and the workmanship (China) is definitely superior. Forget that hook catch between the seats;  this is a fine model, and if it's not 1/43 then it's so close I'm not complaining.  This was the third in the Vintage Roadster series, it's dated 2,000, and the original price tag is still on it - U.S.A. $14.95, Can. $19.95.   If I recall correctly, I was paying about $85 for a Brooklin then;  this Auburn is of even higher caliber IMO.

This topic was modified 5 months ago by David H

Michael Garrett, Frank Reed, Ed Davis and 11 people reacted
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

Very nice David. I have a few dozen of these Hallmark ornaments which so far remain in their boxes.

They look well proportioned but not what I collect in the main. I really like that Auburn though.

David H and David H reacted
ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Noble Member

I remember a couple of Hallmark stores back in the 1990s and early 2000s, and seeing the ornaments.  I did not collect them, but remember some were quite nice. That Auburn looks very nice. Let us know of interesting finds.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

David H and David H reacted
ReplyQuote
Michael Garrett
(@mike)
Trusted Member

Well I have to confess I have a collection of all the Hallmark cars and trucks since they started issuing them. Put them out at Christmas.  They won't all fit in my town so have to display some on a table.

HM OVERALL L3
HM OVERALL R DAY

Karl Schnelle, Ed Davis, David Green and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@mike   I really like what you are doing with these Hallmark vehicles!  Well done, and it makes a Christmas just that much more of a better memory.  

David H Happy  

Karl Schnelle, Ed Davis, Michael Garrett and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Michael Garrett
(@mike)
Trusted Member

I have tried to get them to make some using the "Orphan" cars.  Would love to see them do some Studebakers, Nash, Kaiser Frazer, Frazer, Packard....   No luck so far.

Karl Schnelle, Jack Dodds, David H and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member

I have the 1937 Ford pickup a 1950 GMC pickup and both are very close if not exact to 43rd scale.   My collection also has a 1930 Ford Model A and a 1932 Chevrolet roadster which are pretty accurate as well.  A 1972 Chevrolet pickup is too small.   I like that Auburn and may add that to the collection given David's confirmation on scale.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
Michael Garrett
(@mike)
Trusted Member

@john-quilter Hallmark put out a short series of Roadsters from 1998 to 2002.  They included the 31 Ford, 32 Chevrolet, 35  Auburn, 30 Cadillac and a 54 Buick Wildcat.  I found them the closest to 1/43 scale.  Most of the rest seem to be around 1/50.  The 54 Buick  Wildcat was the last in the series and an unusual one.  I was glad when they switched from Plastic to diecast on all their models.

ReplyQuote
Frank Reed
(@frank)
Famed Member

3F8E2A5D 1E9B 4F97 849A 899A3FA81B96
FE731CB8 4A67 4406 9EF5 177D392BF920
E7418DBA BC71 468F A535 9E9B87F644AE
9B584266 7D1E 459A A78F C7A43823DCA2
02C5658F E489 4916 916F 550EE558354F

Frank Reed
Chesapeake, VA

Michael Garrett, John Kuvakas, David H and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member

I want to thank David Holcombe for turning me on to the Auburn Speedster.  Mine arrived to day from an Ebay vendor and I am very pleased. And the price was right which makes it even better.    Seems David was right on the scale as am particular on that.    Thanks, David.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

Michael Garrett, David H, Michael Garrett and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: