An unusual vintage ...

Notifications
Clear all

An unusual vintage Dinky Toy - No. 964 Elevator Loader

Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I received this one from a hybrid live/online auction site about two weeks ago, just a little too late for my April 1 challenge for unusual items. This is the Barber-Greene elevator loader, introduced as No. 564 in 1952, renumbered as 964 in 1955, and withdrawn in 1968. According to my 1959 Dinky catalog, the cost, at that time, was $5.50, the priciest item in the catalog - it was a lucky boy who got one of these for Christmas! Variations include a reversal of the blue and yellow parts, and a switch from gray to black tires. There were also changes to the cast-in numbers. I was quite lucky to find a near mint example with all four cardboard interior box spacers.

I believe the actual equipment dates from about 1946. The Dinky also has the word "Olding" cast into the loading tray - this was the UK importer of these US machines. It was not self-propelled, and the toy has a tow bar to move it from site to site. The conveyor is moved by a crank on the side and the chute swivels to direct the material loaded. The loading tray can be elevated using a lever when the equipment is transported, and moved to ground level for loading. A blue gate in the tray can be removed.

I imagine the actual loader could have been used in a variety of ways. Remove the tray gate, and bulldoze gravel or sand into the tray, and convey it up to fill a dump truck or railroad car. Leave the tray gate in place, and transfer from one truck to another. I expect there were farm uses as well, to manually load sacks of grain or seed from ground level to a truck. Lots of play value here.

Barber-Greene went on to make a successful line of asphalt paving equipment. With the introduction of the front-end loader and increased use of pallets and forklifts, I suspect this style of conveyor-type loader faded away. 

Dinky 964 Barber Greene elevator loader pic2
Dinky 964 Barber Greene elevator loader pic1
Dinky 964 Barber Greene elevator loader pic3
Dinky 964 Barber Greene elevator loader pic5
Dinky 964 plus others pic1
Dinky 964 plus others pic2

Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Reputable Member

WoW!!!  Did you paint the Bedford dump truck to match?  Nice setup!!!  Are there 3 inner cardboard trays - all mine are missing!

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Noble Member

@karl  This was one of the colors this Bedford was done by Dinky; although in smaller numbers.  I have it.

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Reputable Member

@jack-dodds  Thanks! I never knew they made a "matched set"!  i have the other more "normal" one! 

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Noble Member

@karl  I think, if I recall correctly, that there were about 5 or 6 different colors done, including military olive.  All my Dinky and Matchbox Toys are boxed up and sealed away right now.

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Karl - I hadn't even thought about the color match-up until I did these pics. They do seem to be an exact match. BTW, this one has windows, and I got it at Austin's Electric Shop. Also got the windowless red/cream one.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Noble Member

Fabulous Harv. I have not seen that colour combination Bedford before, either. Love your description with the images.

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

@karl There are two inner trays in the outline of the entire model. There is a base piece, and one when you open the box, with limited cutouts for the tray and wheels since they are the widest part of the model.

ReplyQuote
Share: