AutoCult's Ford Gyr...

Notifications
Clear all

AutoCult's Ford Gyron is here!

Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ford's futuristic 2-wheeled Gyron appeared at the Detroit Auto Show in 1961. The concept car was designed by Alex Tremulis and Syd Mead, the gyroscopic mechanism to keep the car stable was based on theories by Louis Brennan. Two outrigger wheels provided stability at rest. AutoCult's model is up to their usual standard, with the Gyron script in chrome delicately applied. The tiller to control the vehicle is visible through the front windscreen portion of the bubble top. 

AutoCult 06047 Ford Gyron 1961 pic1
AutoCult 06047 Ford Gyron 1961 pic2
AutoCult 06047 Ford Gyron 1961 pic5
AutoCult 06047 Ford Gyron 1961 pic3
AutoCult 06047 Ford Gyron 1961 pic6
AutoCult 06047 Ford Gyron 1961 pic4

Sadly, the fiberglass-bodied 1:1 was destroyed in a fire at Ford in 1962, with only a mock-up model of the car remaining. Tremulis, along with gyro expert Thomas Summers, went on to form Gyro Transport Systems Inc. in California in 1963. In 1967 they presented the Gyro-X, powered by a Mini-Cooper engine. Eventually the company collapsed and the gyro innards went missing. The car ended up at the Lane Museum, and a new gyro system was created after years of effort. The car appeared at Pebble Beach in 2017, and here it is posed with a very proud Jeff Lane.     

Gyro X Jeff Lane 770x515

This topic was modified 5 months ago by Harv Goranson

Rick Thompson
(@rick-thompson)

This vehicle (car?) was featured, and driven by Wayne Carini, on the recent episode of "Chasing Classic Cars" when Wayne visited the Lane Museum in Nashville.  It handled surprisingly well as he drove it around the parking lot.

This post was modified 5 months ago by Rick Thompson

Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Prominent Member

In the parking lot...

@skip 

2T4A0123 preview
2T4A0135 preview
2T4A0134 preview
This post was modified 5 months ago by Karl Schnelle

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

A next model from AutoCult? I know I took pictures of it too Karl but can't find them.

ReplyQuote
Mark Lampariello
(@mark-lampariello)
Reputable Member

I saw it in NYC as a kid.   It's my favorite concept car of all, and a Must-Have.

This post was modified 5 months ago by Mark Lampariello

ReplyQuote
Share: