Diecast for today 8...

Notifications
Clear all

Diecast for today 8/26/21 - Ixo MUS051, the Chrysler Hemi-powered Facel Vega Excellence

8 Posts
5 Users
34 Likes
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The Facel Vega Excellence was unveiled at the Paris Auto Show in 1956, with production beginning in 1958. Initially powered by Chrysler's 392 cu. in. hemi, a switch was made to the 361 wedge engine after the hemi was discontinued and they used up their supply of these engines. The initial model, dubbed "EX", is distinguished from the later EX1 models by its hood scoop - reportedly only 11 built with this feature. The rear-opening suicide doors also appeared on the Eldorado Brougham around this time. An expensive and luxurious car, only a total of 156 were built when production ended in 1964. Ixo calls this a 1960, but with the molded-in hood scoop it has to be called a 1958. The light metallic green suits it well, though I could not find any in this color online.

Ixo MUS051 Facel Vega Excellence pic1
Ixo MUS051 Facel Vega Excellence pic2

Frank Reed, David H, Karl Schnelle and 7 people reacted
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

1958 - a little new for the Ixo Museum series, or so I thought!   I do love those 1950s Facels though!

ReplyQuote
JayGolan
(@jaygolan)
Reputable Member

There was talk about releasing this car as a Packard but Mercedes put the kabosh on that idea.

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

@jaygolan, that sounds interesting. What influence did Mercedes have in the matter?

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
JayGolan
(@jaygolan)
Reputable Member

@jkuvakas

Mercedes was partnered with Studebaker to sell their cars at Studebaker dealers. They objected to having a revived luxury brand to deal with. 

Facel Vega Excellence - Wikipedia

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

@jaygolan, thanks!

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Ya, that's right - I remember seeing these dealership photos several years ago and thought they were very cool!

http://johnstraub.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-mercedes-studebaker-connection.html

ReplyQuote
Keko Romero
(@keko-romero)
Noble Member

A Facel Vega great fan here. A pic of my 2 Excellence...

FVEXC07
FVEXC09

In black: Excellence EX by Provence Moulage 'Ava Gardner' car. Beige over black: EX2 by Neo Scale Models.

Cheers

Keko Romero Sánchez
Cádiz, Spain
http://kekomovil.blogspot.com

ReplyQuote
Share: